August 2021 - British Pale Ales, Bitters and Milds

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
I think it was a mix of T58 yeast and hop additions, personally didn't think it tasted soapy but open to the fact that somebody else might have.
Ok, I guess I can buy a soapy taste from hops maybe but I am currently scratching my head over what I think is a soapy test in a festbier which isnt hoppy at all. The foam especially IMO tastes soapy. Cant get my head round it.

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
Could be... they say butterscotch for diacetyl but I could see how it might be confused, i'm rubbish with picking out flavours.
Aye, i'm largely the same. Really wish I was better at it. I felt briefly that it had some diacetly present and blame myself for rushing the diacetyl rest there. Current lager is going to get at least 5 days at the higher temp. I had felt there was a buttery flavour present but oddly that seems to have disappeared.

By far and away the biggest issue for me with tasting though is psychological IMO, if I know I have made, I sit there second guessing whether it even tastes like beer 😂

Reaction score
Aye, i'm largely the same. Really wish I was better at it. I felt briefly that it had some diacetly present and blame myself for rushing the diacetyl rest there. Current lager is going to get at least 5 days at the higher temp. I had felt there was a buttery flavour present but oddly that seems to have disappeared.

By far and away the biggest issue for me with tasting though is psychological IMO, if I know I have made, I sit there second guessing whether it even tastes like beer 😂

Ahh well, I believe that the diacetyl can dissipate over time so perhaps you've been lucky with that one! I have a lager thats had 2 weeks in the FV at 14c, I dry hopped yesterday, going to up the temp tomorrow to 20c , take the hops out Sunday then cold crash for 3 days and bottle on Wednesday!

Haha yep, know what you mean!

Reaction score
Ok, I guess I can buy a soapy taste from hops maybe but I am currently scratching my head over what I think is a soapy test in a festbier which isnt hoppy at all. The foam especially IMO tastes soapy. Cant get my head round it.
Fatty acids from malt/trub, when oxidised, can have a soapy taste. I’ve never experienced this but have read about it. Lager yeast I think is also more likely to produce soapy off flavours under the right (wrong?) conditions.