August competition - British Pales, Bitters & Milds

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhaha

Regular.
Reaction score
I know I'm way ahead of the game here but thought I might spur a few people to get a brew on now for August's British pales, bitters & milds competition!

Putting together a prize of a bit of a local (Norfolk/Suffolk) beer sample for the winner!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well August is upon us!

If you've got a beer that fits the British pales, bitters & milds category, drop me a PM & I'll send you my address.

As mentioned above, I'm putting together a prize of 3 local Norfolk/Suffolk beers for the winner (3 because I've got a nice little box I can post them in!).

I'm really looking forward to judging this as I'm working on perfecting a best bitter & I know there are a load of great brewer's on this forum.

Judging is likely to be the weekend of the 8th September so as long as your beer arrives by then, I'll include it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

As I have had such a good response to the July competition it would be rude of me not to send in an entry. Luckily I have a session bitter ready to go for this. Pm sent.

Just received @dan125's entry so thanks for that Dan. Still got plenty of time to get your entries in guys.

Update on the prize - I'm off to the North Norfolk coast next week with scheduled drop ins to All Day Brewing Company & Poppyland Beer so at least 1 of the 3 prize beers will be coming from there.

I'm determined to enter one of these soon, how would a 70/- fit in with this category?

I'm determined to enter one of these soon, how would a 70/- fit in with this category?
It's British! I think it's the best fit of the categories we use for competitions on HBF (other than Freestyle) & I'm definitely up for judging it.

Any objections?

It's British! I think it's the best fit of the categories we use for competitions on HBF (other than Freestyle) & I'm definitely up for judging it.

Any objections?

Good enough for me. The slight worry is that it's currently in the FV, but it shouldn't need much conditioning once it's bottle.

Well August is upon us!

If you've got a beer that fits the British pales, bitters & milds category, drop me a PM & I'll send you my address.

As mentioned above, I'm putting together a prize of 3 local Norfolk/Suffolk beers for the winner (3 because I've got a nice little box I can post them in!).

I'm really looking forward to judging this as I'm working on perfecting a best bitter & I know there are a load of great brewer's on this forum.

Judging is likely to be the weekend of the 8th September so as long as your beer arrives by then, I'll include it.

Pm me your address brewhaha i am sure i can find a bottle covered in dust in the archives somewhere.

Terrible photo but after exhaustive trialling, this is beer #1 of the prize on offer for this month's competition.

Norfolk Brewhouse's Winter Porter is brewed with orange peel, coriander & smoked wheat malt. Really smooth & the smoke is subtle. I'm on a big dark beer hit at the moment but I think you'll all love this.

One down, two to go!

Keep those entries coming! You've got to be in it to win it!
IMG_20180817_213644322.jpeg

Have you had many entries yet?
3 including yourself but still have 2 to arrive from people who have expressed interest.

Plenty of time left though. Roped in a buddy to help with judging so all confirmed for Saturday 8th September. Anything arriving before then will be considered.

I'm fermenting a best bitter now in my new fermentation fridge, I hope it will be ready in time for this competition. It's still in primary, when will you be judging?

I'm fermenting a best bitter now in my new fermentation fridge, I hope it will be ready in time for this competition. It's still in primary, when will you be judging?
8th September so depends when you're bottling really.

Still sampling my way through North Norfolk breweries in the search for beer prizes for this month's competition.

Stumbled across this beauty for beer #2 from Poppyland Brewery in Cromer. The brewer there lives 200 yards from his brewery & is quite happy for anyone to drop in & chat beer. Do check him out if you're in the area.

Stormbrynger is a Rye Brown Ale. Great malt backbone with whiffs of coffee & spice with a nice hop flavour (not that I can pick out any individuals).

Still plenty of time to get an entry in!

The hunt continues for beer #3...
IMG_20180823_203631127.jpeg

As long as everything goes to plan I'll get my 70/- bottled on Saturday and sent out to you Monday.

As long as everything goes to plan I'll get my 70/- bottled on Saturday and sent out to you Monday.
Ace. I'm very much a novice in that style so really looking forward to this one. Will keep my fingers crossed for a smooth bottling day!

Latest posts

Back