Automated BIAB brewery DIY from Instructables

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor2112

Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if anyone had attempted to follow the guide to constructing an automated BIAB setup from this link: https://www.instructables.com/id/Fully-Automated-All-Grain-Electric-Beer-Brewery-fo/

The search function showed a couple of members had started the project, but I couldn't find anyone who'd finished it....perhaps not a good sign?

Anyway, I'm gradually accumulating the required components (lots coming from China), so if anyone has any more general feedback on BIAB builds and automation, any tips would be very gratefully received!

Are you planning on building the whole thing? I'd seen that instructable, not sure if it was an bit too ambitious

IMG_20181223_072321.jpg
IMG_20181223_072305.jpg
Hi. Yes, I've done it, but used a wemos D1 instead of the Arduino and wemos. I used a twin base, oled shield, button shield, and a development shield to solder in the connection to the ds18b20 and the twin relays. So it's then a tiny computer velcro'd to the front of a project box with the two plug sockets. I've done a couple of brews now and it's working fine. The blynk app is operational too. Pictures attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20181223_105820.jpg
    IMG_20181223_105820.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Cool! Is it worth the effort involved? What were you brewing with before, how does it compare?

I was doing kits and stove-top 5 litre biab before. It's so much easier, though I'm learning how to get the best out of it. For example, the code that's included in the instructable monitors the temperature of the mash, and will turn on a heater if it drops below the target. The problem is that the convection isn't that strong, so if you rely on heating to counter the temperature drop you can get quite a difference in the temperature depending on where the probe is (no pump to recirculate): you can easily overshoot. So, I've got that foil-backed bubble-wrap insulation, and set the target mash temp +4 degrees, stir the grain as it goes in to make sure there are no dry lumps, then just leave it, relying on the insulation to keep it around the target temp. That works well. I had to buy things like a couple of drill bits to get the tap and the heating elements in, so, maybe £60 ish for the boiler? Then for the project box, electronics and all the little bits (soldering iron, glue gun, reusable stuff like that), maybe another £90ish? I think £150 all in. I've got two brew fridges, and under counter one and a larger one, and have an inkbird to control fermentation, but I'm going to get a brewpiless done next (https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess), and then maybe an ispindel tilt hydrometer (http://www.ispindel.de).

Cheers. How's the 30l bucket cope with boils for a 23l brew, must be starting close to the top of the bucket?

Is the app controlled timer really useful or would just a switch and manual boiler control with a thermometer be adequate? (For a simple build)

I've got a couple of ispindels but tbh they're fiddly to get going reliably. I've never used one in a brew.

Fermentrack for a fridge controller is good though, simple to build and it is reliable.

I got a 60L bucket, and, though I'm still refining, it's about 34L of water to hit a 23L target.

The app isn't generally used to set the parameters of the brew: though he included some code to enable that it's marked as experimental. I just use the app to track it when out of the room (as the oled reports stage, temperature, time etc). I just change the settings in the sketch code and then upload.

I do like the automatic nature of it, and the hop reminders etc. It's also very flexible, as it would be very easy to add a mash out stage, just by modifying the code.

Got it. I thought the app was closer linked to your recipe's temps and timings.

What about a recirculation pump for the mash, have you thought abiab that?

And do you use a false bottom or hop bazooka thingy? How about lifting the full bag of wet grain and draining it, is that doable?

Thanks! Do you have a pic of the boiler inside and lid please.

The app can be used that way, but I don't.

So far I'm happy with the insulation for my mash. It would be straightforward to insert control of another relay, though, to control a pump (though I would probably look at brewmaniacex to control it).

I don't use a false bottom, just hop bags, or another big nylon bag if there are many additions in the recipe.

No problems lifting the bag and holding to drain.

Back