Automatic gearbox

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve had both over the years and don’t have a preference. If you spend a lot of time in cities, then automatics make life a lot easier. But if you’re constantly going up and down hills then it has to be a manual. Personally, I think cars are a pain in the @rse and I don’t enjoy driving, but in the modern age, if you don’t have access to one then you’re at a serious disadvantage. Therefore driving is a necessary skill, all aspects of which should be taught including the ability to drive manual and automatics.

Lets not forget this is all about learner drivers ,once they pass their test i wonder how many auto Corsa's etc are around ,on the whole the only cars available which are affordable are the small ,manual run arounds .

I drove manuals until 10 years ago. Auto ever since with the double clutch type far and away the best. I now drive an electric Mini and it doesn't even have a gearbox! Worst manual I ever drove was a Jag X- type. That was like stirring a bucket of bricks when it was cold.

Hated Autos years ago, but got used to modern ones, auto in the camper, superb relaxing drive, manual in the van and car, puddles the head a bit jumping between camper and van on the same chassis, but I would pitch auto all day for relaxation, but try finding a second hand auto van Lol

Being able to drive a manual is still a useful skill to have but I can well see it dying out in future.

For a sporty drive I'd still enjoy a manual though I don't have anything sporty at the moment. It gives you a lot more control going into corners and so on.

However my last two main cars have been autos and I'm a complete convert. The roads are so congested these days and you spend so much time in stop / start traffic it's just so much more pleasant with an auto on a long drive. We also have a caravan for holidays and I just don't think I'd ever fancy towing that with a manual. We still have a runaround car which is a manual so I can maintain my skills with that.

Don't own one but have rented them as they are quite often the cheaper option for some reason. Absolutely thrashed a clio round the alps and it was great with the constant up and down gears you need on the alpine roads. Also had a 4x4 auto in norway which again was great in the snowy conditions we had.
Would happily have an auto if one was available.

Latest posts

Back