Autosyphon, hopsock and lots of air

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHudds

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm having trouble when transferring to my bottling bucket. I read here that some use a hopsock from the Festival kits. I have one of those, so tie it tightly to the bottom of the syphon, pop it in the FV and off I go.

However, it's getting a crazy amount if air in the tubing, looks like one of those light up bubble tubes!

Today the flow just stopped complely a few times. So I took it off and proceeded, and got a fast air free transfer, but now have loads of hop particles / murky trub bits in the bottling bucket.

Does anyone have any pointers to help me?

Thanks,
Matt

I had the same problem, I think the hop sock is meant for a standard syphon. I just ditched it.

I cold crash the beer before syphoning, which drops most of the hops to the bottom, then when transferring start the autosyphon half way down the fermenter, and when it is going I slowly lower in down into the trub. Sometimes it kicks a bit up which gets syphoned across, but not a lot. Normally any hop material that gets into the bottling bucket sinks to the bottom and is left when I've finished bottling.

I've had a damn nightmare trying to use syphons to transfer my beer. If it wasn't hops causing problems then it would be the auto siphon not working properly, and even standard syptons weren't exactly easy. I've now switched to a sprigot on my fermenter that I hook up directly into the beer out tube of a corny. I just pour off a bit before transferring to ensure it's clean. I've also started hopping in bags to ensure there's no hop matter to clog anything up.

I struggled last time with my auto syphon, the seal on the centre tube had worn and it sucked stacks of air in, I ended up just sucking the tube and ditching the syphon to finish the transfer,I haven't sampled the beer yet as its still conditioning but I'd say it was a bottling day disaster so not sure how it'll turn out.

Latest posts

Back