The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rasp_Brewer

Reaction score
Hi All,

Today I made another brew. Some of you may have seen the metheglin I started not long ago I had some left over spices from that so thought I could use them in an apple wine. The recipe goes as follows

-4.5L apple juice (I used store bought apple juice with no additives just the apple juice)
-mug of strong black t
-600g brown sugar
-Zest of an orange
-2 cinnamon sticks
-2 cloves
-Youngs wine yeast

SG was 1.080 did have some trouble with foam took a long time to be able to top it off after shaking the must up to mix in the sugar and add oxygen. Just to add the gravity of the juice it’s self was 1.040 and as you can see in the picture below there still is a lot of foam. Kind of worried this is too full I’m hoping it doesn’t explode on me if it does I’ll add a blow off tube didn’t leave as much head room as I normally would I got a bit greedy lol.

Edit:
Forgot to mention the addition of a mug of strong black tea for the tannins.

f
F1DB27BE-783F-44F4-B723-A292408370A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Likewise to my spiced metheglin I plan on racking this I aim to do this next Monday just to get the spices out I don’t want these to be too over powering I’ll be taking a gravity reading and if I see there’s still quite a lot of sugar remaining I will shake this up to transfer the yeast colony with the wine whilst leaving the spices behind anyway I’ll post another update when I’ve done this.

Racked this today to remove the spices took a gravity reading which was 1.026 still some sugars left had a taste and they definitely came through in this I added a tsp of pectolase today as I picked it up from my local home brew shop to reduce the possibility of pectin haze hope this works.

Took a reading on this today and racked to another dj as there was a lot of lees at the bottom took a taste and while it wasn’t something I’d like to drink right now it wasn’t too bad it was much better than expected I reckon with some age this will be a nice beverage for autumn time next year

Back