Average Munich Helles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_kc

Reaction score
Looking for some potential feedback on how to make an average tasting Munich Helles taste better next time around - the taste is a little fruity, not at all crisp with a slightly off after taste (minerally) - I'd be happy with some slight yeast character but crisp!
Wondering if this my Oxford water (see below, only added some sodium metabisulfite for chlorine) or a result of pressure fermenting, or just not leaving this to lager long enough in cold enough conditions

Pressure fermented in a Corny Keg with a spunding valve set at 10 psi for 2 weeks around 21°C. Has been 'lagering' with 20 psi of CO2 in the garage at around 10°C for 3 weeks - using this for serving. Fined with gelatin and is looking pretty clear.

Recipe:
80% Weyerman Pils Malt
20% Vienna
20 IBU - Bittered with Perle, and think I had a small 15 edition adding a few IBUs
Saflager W-34/70

Oxford Water: Ca 109, Mg 1, Na 23, Cl 31, SO4 52, HCO3 243

Any tips would be appreciated - plan on doing an export version next with Hallertau Mittelfrüh and Tettnang.

Try using your water in the mash but sparge/ do later temp steps with something like ashbeck or RO.

Mash for attenuation, try and get mid 80s aa. What was your og/fg?

Mash and initial boil pH of 5.4 is good to target, but reduce pH to 5.1 or so just before you add copper finings.

Use lots of healthy yeast and o2 at pitching

Why are you fining with gelatin? The main point of lagering for an extended time is to clear the beer. Adding finings without introducing o2 to finished beer is hard to do.

I'm doing full volume using BIAB. My OG was 1.044, FG 1.010.
I fined with gelatin as my garage isn't going to get that cold for a month or two and I plan on drinking this over the next couple of weeks. Will keep an eye on that mash pH and mash for attenuation. What's a good temp for a single-infusion mash? (Don't have capabilities to step mash).

I’m no water expert, and I only actually have a partial water profile that I use for my adjustments, but I’ve been told before that our tap water has a very good profile for lagers. My measurements, particularly the calcium is much lower than yours (although admittedly my calcium is much lower than most calculators would give you for a lager).

Latest posts

Back