Awesome Brewfather Update!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeH

Insert Witty Comment Here
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AMS/DWB in the water calculator.
Battery level for iSpindel/Float/Tilt.

Capture.PNG

Hmm, brewfather is suggesting i add double the amount of crs i calculate.

Hco3 = 118, to bring down to 80 brewfather says 7.8ml in 17.21l

I calculate 3.2ml

I'd trust brewfather over myself as I've only just started water adjustments but i did test alk before and after adding crs and numbers came through.

I’ve only had a quick play.

1. It won’t auto calculate a pale ale profile when using my tap water. Murphy’s water report suggestions has no issues hitting their targets.
2. It only allows you to use lactic to lower the pH.

I’m a water treatment retarded so will look in a little more detail tomorrow.

Last edited:
I’ve had a play too, using a pale ale recipe.

It lets you add AMS as a manual addition, but you can’t select it for pH reduction in the automatic water addition calculator, that’s still only lactic and phosphoric.

I tried adding some AMS as a manual addition to reduce alkalinity and then auto-calculating my salt additions but the auto calculation doesn’t seem to take into account the increased sulphate and chloride levels from the AMS, so it tells you you add loads more gypsum than necessary.

I have my tap water saved, and a different profile saved with my tap water with 1ml/L of AMS added ( brings alk down to 30ppm). So I’ll probably continue to use it this way.

I’ve had a play too, using a pale ale recipe.

It lets you add AMS as a manual addition, but you can’t select it for pH reduction in the automatic water addition calculator, that’s still only lactic and phosphoric.

I tried adding some AMS as a manual addition to reduce alkalinity and then auto-calculating my salt additions but the auto calculation doesn’t seem to take into account the increased sulphate and chloride levels from the AMS, so it tells you you add loads more gypsum than necessary.

I have my tap water saved, and a different profile saved with my tap water with 1ml/L of AMS added ( brings alk down to 30ppm). So I’ll probably continue to use it this way.
I'm the same as you, have saved a treated water, probably easier to just keep using this.

Anyone know how to force the app to upgrade (on Android)? Mine hasn't and is in 2.7.0 (new version is 2.7.1)

Just checked iOS and I was on 2.6.1. Had to delete and reinstall but only on 2.7.0.
Guess it takes time to filter through. Updated on PC though.

Just checked iOS and I was on 2.6.1. Had to delete and reinstall but only on 2.7.0.
Guess it takes time to filter through. Updated on PC though.

I’ve just checked mine; I had to force an update and I’m still only on 2.7.0 too.

New green line.

Screenshot_20210225-000440_Chrome.jpg

I didnt need to force the update, it asked me after a few seconds of opening the app.

Also, yes my ispindel battery life is sh1te. 5 days and then needs a recharge.

Opps, I haven't been adjusting my sulphate and chloride levels due to AMS addition. Do you use a tool or manually calculate?

Opps, I haven't been adjusting my sulphate and chloride levels due to AMS addition. Do you use a tool or manually calculate?
I manually calculate the sulphate and chloride levels using the details in the strange Steve's water treatment thread. Then saved this as a new water profile. Seems work well.

I've messed about with the beta for AMS/CRS additions, but haven't brewed using it yet. What I did notice is it calculates roughly half the CRS required compared to the Water Calculator on here. Brewfather is a great app, so I'll give it a try.

My water is hard so adding lots of CRS pushes the sulphate and chloride up too far for some styles. In general I haven't noticed a huge difference whatever I do with water treatment.

I've messed about with the beta for AMS/CRS additions, but haven't brewed using it yet. What I did notice is it calculates roughly half the CRS required compared to the Water Calculator on here.

Yeah they certainly have different ideals where a bitter should be.

Latest posts

Back