Awful flavour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's TCP flavour then it's not going to get better by adding anything. If you can afford to tie up a keg, then leaving it for a month or so won't do harm, but it's very unlikely to do any good either.

Maybe bottle some and give to some brewing friends to help diagnose the off flavour. At least then the batch will have done some good for your future brewing career.

Surprised you don't have the stuff in the USA Dave.!!
Its made from halogenated phenol's. It is used as a topical antiseptic and has a very pungent medicinal smell and taste.

So pungent I can smell anyone using it from about 20 feet away.

This is interesting. It ties into the last thread I did on the subject. Yet to find a cause or a solution.

If it is that bad in your opinion I would cut my losses and ditch it. If it is just a slight off taste you could mask it with extra hop oil or flavouring to make it drinkable? but with a medicinal taste it will be hard to mask the taste IMO

I know this flavour smell really really well. You can't fix it. Just bin. Oddly my kolsch suffers from it. Every poxy time. Yet a diffrent brew sneaks through and works. Mental. Like I said I'm still trying to understand this .

I had that flavour on my very first home brew ever and in my case I realised I hadn't rinsed vwp off my bottles very well..

However this could be a wild yeast thing which has not been killed from the previous brew

In wine this is caused by fermenting at too high a Ph.
There is no real cure.

Since we are talking beers the cause may or may not be the same.???
I don't really know for certain.
Still worth checking the Ph though at the start of fermentation,Just in case.

Okay, thanks. I tore up the internet trying to find it (at least five minutes of looking) and it turns out to be just the band-aid/medicinal thing? Good to know.
As similar (relatively) as the US is to the UK, there are some differences.
Looking forward to visiting again.
I think in the states it’s sold as MD 20/20

I would tip it, unfortunately you can't polish a turd
Agree on the tipping. I had one that was left for several months and did not improve at all. I do have to disagree with turd polishing :eek: look up the muthbusters episode where they managed to do it :laugh8::laugh8:

You can not polish a turd. You can however roll it in glitter and laqure it.or you can wrap it in tin foil then freeze it. This is called a space docker

Still no answer to my question anyone ever try and save one of these brews by adding anything
Yep. I've tried by adding yeast nutrient. The flavour threshold of these chlorophenols is so low that it can't be saved. If you've got a spare fermenter then put it to one side for a month or so, but in my experience it just gets worse.
If you look at some of my other posts, you'll see I'm the last person to throw a beer away if I think it can be saved or even of there's an element of doubt.

Chlorophenols are un-saveable. They are detectable, to me, only in the Aftertaste, that is, after a swallow, at the back of the tongue and the following breath.

Tiniest trace ruins the experience.

Don't rule out an infection. Might be best to have a deep clean. Won't do any harm. I had an off flavour that I couldn't pinpoint recently and someone suggested that to me. It seemed to do the trick. I recently posted a doc that had dozens of off flavours and their description + cause. I will try and find the thread.

Latest posts

Back