B&M kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.

Pushed the boat out last saturday morning, obtained another FV and started a B&M IPA kit off.

Anyway, the bubbling started after about 4 hours. I mean bubbling, off it went like a boiler.

Since yesterday evening, the bubbling was subsiding, today nothing.... Quiet as a mouse.

Haven't had a look at it (under the lid) but do these smaller kits (11 litres) take a lot less time to ferment?

Thanks.

My IPA one started quickly and was still bubbling 5 days later though obviously not as much as early on. It had more or less finished by the time the hops had to be added.

Thanks.
Once again a slight whiff of sulphur and some granulated yeast floating on the top of a clearish liquid. Looks like there has been a good inch and a half krausen.
Anyway another teaspoon of nutrient sprinkled onto the top of the liquid appears to Have banished the sulphur smell and started the bubbling again.

I am beginning to think that the smell and odd fermenting could be to do with he fact I live in a very very hard water area, with possibly low nitrogen levels in the water. ??

Imagine a thousand little fishes in a small tank. It will be really easy to catch the first 900 or so, but as the numbers reduce the time taken to catch each fish will increase.

That's what happens in any brew. To start with there are plenty of sugar molecules for the yeast to go and eat but as time goes on they have to search for them and it takes longer and longer for them to catch and eat the last few.

If you watched the air-lock constantly (and assuming that you had no leaks), even after ten days there would still be the odd bubble passing through to show you that the yeast is still active.

This is one of the reasons why many Forum Members use the 2 + 2 + 2 method and don't even look at the brew until it has been fermenting for at least TWO weeks.

Be patient, DON'T look under the lid just yet and enjoy! :thumb:

That doesn't explain The sulphur smell on all the brews I have done up to now. The nutrient seems to take the smell away within a hour or so and re starts regular bubbling.
The ale I am drinking is just fine after the methods I have used.

I NEVER touch my brews until they have had at least TWO WEEKS in the fermenter, so I haven't a clue what they smell like in the interim period!

For all I know, during the two weeks of fermentation, the smell given off by my brews may be sulphurous or any other of the identifiable aromas that the human body can recognise; but all I am looking for is that AFTER two weeks of fermentation the brew doesn't smell of either vinegar or Turkish Wrestler's Jockstrap! (1)

I think that:
  1. You may be worrying too much. or
  2. You have introduced an infection.
Either way, LEAVE IT ALONE because interfering with it will do no good whatsoever at this stage!

(1) I am informed by those who know about these things that the smell is a rather pungent and mouldy smell.

Haha ok, thanks.

The fermenters are in the kitchen, the problem being is our poor old border collie keeps getting the blame for the odour... I play along as it the dog that goes outside or it is the brews... the dog I love and is part of the family but the brews I reckon i love more and will probably bring me more happiness than the dog does....

........ the problem being is our poor old border collie keeps getting the blame for the odour......

:laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:

I've had dogs most of my life. They can be extremely crafty and all of them know when they have farted. :thumb:

If your's is old then it is wise enough to wander over to the FV area, fart and then wander back to SWMBO with a "Whew!! That beer of his doesn't half stink!" look on its face! abigt abigt

My advice is therefore "Blame the dog!" clapa

Your fermentor isnt is sunlight is it?

Since reading about the 2 2 2 method on this forum i havent looked back with the first 2 2s the 3rd 2 is the tricky one!
:gulp:

Yeah the kits were that price when I bought them. FV is only a small one though I think.

The FV looks like it's ok, it comes with steriliser, sypthon maybe summat else, can't remember. It's just too small for me, don't know why I got it.
I use it to store crisps, nuts and pork scratchings, in the mancave.

Haha, now there is a use for a smaller bucket.
I buy on impulse because things are on sale or cheap, bad practice as I always wonder why I bought things afterwards....

B&m are selling kits for 7.99 each but they're only for 10 litres. Has anybody given these a go? Can i pad them out with anything to make them 25 litres for my fermentation bucket?
Just bottled b&m real ale kit with 500 grams of brewing sugar and 300 grams of beer enhancer to 11 litres came out at 5.25 %abv should be a good pint of which I have 19 can also buy 12 litre fv bucket for & 7.99 comes with syphon and cleaner at b&m cheers Andy

Last edited:
I bought one of their starter FV kit because i wanted the siphon clip, and a spare FV. The spare siphon and no rinse steriliser made the £8 a bargain in my opinion. Yes it is only 13lt but its a good size for experimenting! I made a ginger beer from this forum which was absolutely bang on but i wouldnt have tried it if id have to have made 23lt batch! Im gonna try a 10-12lt strawberry/raspberry cider in it next that would have prohibited me at 20-23lt!
Hope this makes sense and helps someone!
Scott

Tonight...
I made 2x real ale kits to 23l using the spare 500g dextrose from my previous US ipa. (There for 1.5kg dextrose instead of just 1kg) should increase abv from 4.4% to 5.4% if final gravity is expected.
OG @ 24c 1048

I also make 1 x US Ipa kit as directed using brita filtered water as opposed to standard tap water.
OG @ 24c 1052

Will leave both for 1 week and add hops and 1 level tsp/gal of wilko yeast enhancer.

Scott

Well, i have just added the hops to the B&M IPA kit i started.
Left an extra 3 days as there has been no airlock activity for a week.....
Anyway, opened the FV up, has left a Krausen ring around the side so fermentation has happened, got a bit closer for a little smell .....
The CO2 was very strong in the FV, enough to sting your nose. Beer smells ok.
Still some very small yeast grains floating on the top.
Beer inside was a browny/red bitter colour. Was expecting a lager colour for an IPA.
Still will check the FG at the weekend and bottle up if it is within spec.
I suspect the fermentation finished a good few days ago when the bubbling stopped.

............. opened the FV up ......

Still will check the FG at the weekend ............

Aaaaargh! Why do people open up an FV just to see how things are getting on?

EVERY time anyone opens up an FV they expose the brew to infection.

If anyone told me they kept exposing themselves to the passengers on passing busses I would advise them "STOP IT" ...

... and Ditto to opening up an FV before the time when you are expecting to bottle it! athumb..

Latest posts

Back