B&M kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just brewed the ipa and iv got to say im well impressed with it ,it been in the bottle for about 3 week and it as clear as a bell and has i nice hoppy flavor and on par with stuff iv had in micro brewerys that you pay through the nose for ,got the real ale in fv with a jar of h&b malt extract so hoping for nice things from that as well .dont know what it will turn out like a few months in the bottle but doubt it will last that long

To be honest it's a Bit of a lottery whether they have any anywhere. Not all b&ms sell alcohol and it seems if there's no alcohol there's no homebrew. Of 5 I've tried around Derby 2 Don't sell alcohol, 1 has only equipment(meteor), 1 has only tequila and lime(spondon), and 1 has T&L and real ale(cavendish).

To be honest it's a Bit of a lottery whether they have any anywhere. Not all b&ms sell alcohol and it seems if there's no alcohol there's no homebrew. Of 5 I've tried around Derby 2 Don't sell alcohol, 1 has only equipment(meteor), 1 has only tequila and lime(spondon), and 1 has T&L and real ale(cavendish).
That may of well been the issue with the ones that I went to and I was unlucky enough not to find them. Ahe but for me I think it will have to be Wilko kits as I know that they have them there.

I think everything they sell is bought in a one off in bulk amount or an agreed amount per month/year.

So they agreed a deal with MJ to supply 100,000 cases of each home brew for £x and sent 10 of each to every store with an alcohol license! The ones that sold straight away were replaced with any left!
Might be simply noone in skegvegas wants to drink real ale! aunsure....

Recently bottled the real ale kit but I couldn't get any more. Does anyone know of a B&M in South Wales that has the kits in stock?

I've just put the Real Ale kit on as per instructions. I'm getting a OG of 1.040. I was hoping for a bit more than that. Does anyone whose done this kit get similar readings? When I did the American IPA I got 1.052

Last edited:
I got 1.043 for the real ale and it came out at 4.6%. I've just done a double pack of the IPA and mine is 1.052 too. Took the reading just after I'd put the yeast in though so I hope this didn't affect it.

Managed to pick up 4 IPA kits and 3 more Real Ale kits from two shops near Cardiff.

Got an American IPA and A Lager and Tequila kit today, the only 2 kits left, and they are now reduced to £5.99! I also bought a mangrove jack's American IPA kit on Saturday from my LHBS, the hops in the Mangrove Jack's kit are different to the B&M one so not sure it's the same kit, but at £5.99 for 10 litres of beer I aren't complaining :-)

I'm interested to see how much flavour it has thinning about a 11.5 litre kit to 20 litres. Will probably still have 5 times the body of Carling.
Well kegged the B&M modified IPA yesterday. It was in the primary 10 day's. then i used the supplied hop's in a hop bag, with a spoon to weigh the bag down. It got down to 1038 to 1008, so it's around the 4% area. Well it look's nice and pale, i had a tiny sneak taste, and it taste's pretty good. Keep yawl posted :)

I bottled my American IPA on Tuesday and put in the heated brew safe, already clearing can not wait to see how it turns out. I have also started the Tequila & Lime Lager which is popping away, so will put the added sachet of sweetener in next Monday as directed.

I bottled my American IPA on Tuesday and put in the heated brew safe, already clearing can not wait to see how it turns out. I have also started the Tequila & Lime Lager which is popping away, so will put the added sachet of sweetener in next Monday as directed.

Just to check, Did you put the hops in after 10 days and then leave for another 4 days before bottling? Mine's been in FV for about a week and I plan to leave for another week before bottling and I'm wondering when to add hops.

Like you, I'm looking forward to this one - it looks a great colour even through the wall of the FV.

Ignore the instructions.
Leave it two weeks to properly finish off and start clearing. Then make sure it really has finished with a hydrometer and onkly then add the hops for a few days and then bottle.
This whole thing about it being finished in 7 days is wishful thinking.

My last real ale kit took 3 weeks before it stopped bubbling. Ok it was brewing at 16-18c, but just do it when it's ready and not what the instructions say

It must be because I brewed it at 22c, I used a Hydrometer and it was down to 1.002 and had completely finished, I suppose everyones brews are different!

Has anyone with the lager not added the sweetener and if so what were the results. Think of dropping the sweetener, adding some extra light spraymalt and subbing the yeast for genuine lager yeast as yeast temps seem quite high. Thoughts?

I tasted mine yesterday before adding the sweetener and it was quite a bitter taste, but for me the Lime seems very over powering, I suppose ok if you like Lager & Lime. It might improve with age though

Back