B&M kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The IPA kits definitely improve after about 5 to 6 weeks in the bottle.

I forgot to add the sweetener to the t&l kit, it turned out OK for me but I do like lime, might be a little bitter for some.

Thanks Mavroz, I am a bitter drinker and after yesterday taste I was thinking of binning it!

Is that the real ale kit? I have done a few of these now, making use of different hops I had, also using dme instead of the brewing sugar. These did taste quite nice to be fair when I bottled each brew..
Have another to bottle at the weekend.

I think the sweetener is non fermentable,just for taste.I just got a 'real ale' and looking forward to getting it going in a couple of weeks.I've only done some cider (raw apples,still clearing) and a wine kit (still fermenting)so I'm a total ametuar really.Hope it's fairly fool proof!

Hi, noob brewer here, I've done a couple of the B&M kits, the first one I think got a little too hot during the ferment (This was when we were hitting 30-35 degrees in the summer) and was drinkable, but definitely had a slight aftertaste. That got better the longer I left it (I think I had the first try at about 3 or 4 weeks in the bottle). I picked up another two kits, one I've brewed, and as a bit of an experiment I chucked in a packet of frozen raspberries when I put in the hops. Smelt great. I had a taste from the trial jar, which was nice, and I've tried one bottle, also nice, but needs longer (it had had a couple of weeks in the bottle)

Welcome to The Forum!

You have already learned "Lesson One - Leave it alone for a few weeks!" Well done!

Well I bottled it on the 29th July and tasted it on the 21st August, so i wasn't super impatient.. The raspberry one I was even less patient but after less than two weeks it is definitely better than the first batch, so I think the heat definitely did add some off flavours. By contrast, the Youngs IPA (Which I decided to chuck in the muslin bag of blackberries strained from a batch of blackberry wine that I currently have on the go) that I tried a couple of night ago, 2 weeks after bottling tastes great. Again, I'm intending on leaving it a few more weeks in the bottles but I though I'd have a taste in the name of experimentation :)

Bottle another 21.5 bottles of B&M Ale this afternoon.
This one had a mix of Crystal, Fuggles & cascade hops, dry hopped from Day 1.
Tastes very nice, will see when carbed up and matured.
Pics when ready will follow on another thread. athumb..

Well here we go. Tried the IPA tonight (only a glass) and i am mighty, mighty suprised at how good this has turned out. In the primary for 15 days , dry hopped for the last 5 , secondary in the keg for 4 days, added 500g of light spray malt , and the supplied 500g of dextrose , made up to 20L , used the kit yeast re-hydrated. Been cold crashed, and tried after 6 days conditioning. Very nice hop aroma, and great head retention. Around the 4% mark. Will leave for another week before having a few pint's. IMG_0006.JPG

Well here we go. Tried the IPA tonight (only a glass) and i am mighty, mighty suprised at how good this has turned out. In the primary for 15 days , dry hopped for the last 5 , secondary in the keg for 4 days, added 500g of light spray malt , and the supplied 500g of dextrose , made up to 20L , used the kit yeast re-hydrated. Been cold crashed, and tried after 6 days conditioning. Very nice hop aroma, and great head retention. Around the 4% mark. Will leave for another week before having a few pint's.View attachment 15979
Did you stretch one kit to 20ltrs with just 500g extra spray malt?

Yep added just 500g of spray malt. You get 1.4k of LME with the IPA kit, and 500g of dextrose. If you did the kit following the instructions it would work out at over 6%, thats to strong for me. By padding out with extra malt, and making up to 20l i have a very nice 4% beer.

That pint looks lovely, I had the last IPA kit from my local b&m so look forward to having a go at that but as of yet haven't done any!

I put 2 ipa kits in the fermenter, added the hops after 7 days as instructed. Still bubbling after 6 weeks, wondering if l should add more hops when it finally stops or just bottle as is. Any ideas ?

Yep added just 500g of spray malt. You get 1.4k of LME with the IPA kit, and 500g of dextrose. If you did the kit following the instructions it would work out at over 6%, thats to strong for me. By padding out with extra malt, and making up to 20l i have a very nice 4% beer.
I did mine as instructions to 12ltr and is amazing but was a bit strong, I've only got 6 bottles left, went to b&m today but they had nothing, just bottles and fv. Staff said no more stock coming as it was a one off for fathers day.(gutted)

I put 2 ipa kits in the fermenter, added the hops after 7 days as instructed. Still bubbling after 6 weeks, wondering if l should add more hops when it finally stops or just bottle as is. Any ideas ?
Bottle as is, you won't be disappointed.

Yep i keep looking in every B&M i pass, and no IPA kits. Loads of real ales, and lager and lime (or whatever they call it) I have 2 x real ale kits made up to 2ol just into conditioning, took yonk's to finish fermenting, had a little sample and its cloudy as F##k, but tastes OK but not much hop aroma. Keep ya posted on this one, might be xmas before it clear's but dont really want to gelatine it. See how it go's. I will give it a week then Gel it if it shows no sign of clearing.
I did mine as instructions to 12ltr and is amazing but was a bit strong, I've only got 6 bottles left, went to b&m today but they had nothing, just bottles and fv. Staff said no more stock coming as it was a one off for fathers day.(gutted)

Last edited:
Real Ale kits are bland and plain if made as per Instruction.
Have been experimenting using dme and sugar with various hops in various amounts.

Latest posts

Back