B&M kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, quite disappointing in the end seeing as my local home brew shop does the 10 litre buckets pre-drilled with the grommet and airlock fitted for £7.50.

Well it's bubbling well now
High krausen which suprised me after trying to be clever with adding way too many frozen bottles yesterday and having a panic attack about if I'd stalled it

Be nice to know what yeast it is
Smells lovely from the airlock

My local B&M had these kits yesterday. I was wondering if they were useful as a quick brew doubling up as they seem cheaper than kits. I thought the 12 swing tops for £9.99 seemed pretty reasonable. They were in the beer aisle, kits on the shelf, bottles and buckets on the top shelf and also on the end of one of the aisles. I was worried they were one of the water in a bag types. Does look like a fathers day thing.

Has anyone got one of these going yet?
If so how's the fermentation going? /Gone?

I had a OG reading of 1.056

Has anyone got one of these going yet?
If so how's the fermentation going? /Gone?

I had a OG reading of 1.056
Started one last Thursday. First time I’ve done a kit for ages. OG was 1056, same as yours.
Went off after a few hours, even with just the 6g of yeast. Bubbled strongly for 3 days and then died down. Nothing coming through the bubbler now.
Going to do a gravity check on Thursday and probably throw the hops in.

Started one last Thursday. First time I’ve done a kit for ages. OG was 1056, same as yours.
Went off after a few hours, even with just the 6g of yeast. Bubbled strongly for 3 days and then died down. Nothing coming through the bubbler now.

Looking forward to this one
Hope it's not a father's day fling

I also got 1.056. Chucked the hops in yesterday and they smell very fresh.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I also got 1.056. Chucked the hops in yesterday and they smell very fresh.

Great stuff
Day 3 was at 11am and I've come home this afternoon to find it had'come back to life after slowing down last night
I'm glad as I'd been trying too hard in keeping the temp as low as possible but leaving it now to its own devices

Ive misplaced the instructions

When does it say to add the hops?

Sounds about right
Did the real ale kit come with a 20g of hops just out of interest?

I must confess, I bought 2 and pitched both yeast packets into 1 batch. Figured I'd make a normal IPA then a double IPA. I boosted the second kit with 500g spraymalt and pitched it straight onto the yeast cake from the first (it took off like a rocket within the hour) it's OG 1.070. I've also bought 100g of simcoe and going to add some to the dry hop.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that sounds great
So I take it you used a separate fv to make the 2nd batch up and transferred it to the other (with yeast cake)?

Nothing wrong with that sounds great
So I take it you used a separate fv to make the 2nd batch up and transferred it to the other (with yeast cake)?
I racked the first one onto the hops in a second FV and made the other batch up in a big 12l stock pot I got from Wilko for £12. Poured it straight onto the yeast mush from the first one.

I actually started off brewing all grain and this is only my second kit beer. It just seemed too good an offer to pass on, plus you can do it in less than an hour as opposed to 4.

I racked the first one onto the hops in a second FV and made the other batch up in a big 12l stock pot I got from Wilko for £12. Poured it straight onto the yeast mush from the first one.

I actually started off brewing all grain and this is only my second kit beer. It just seemed too good an offer to pass on, plus you can do it in less than an hour as opposed to 4.

I hear you
I thought exactly the same and if this comes out good I'll definitely be fitting this or the ale one in at least once a month and may add some specialty grains and hops to freshen them up a bit (also getting an extra couple of litres too)

Gravity checked today. Gone from 1056 - 1010, doubt it will go down any further so just above 6% abv.
I had no temp control on this and think it was at about 23c most of the time.
Tasted the sample and it's quite nice for raw beer, just the right amount of bitterness for my taste and no homebrew twang .
Chucked the hops in today as well.
Seems a bit of a bargain kit for £7.99.

Found them in the Milton Keynes Winter Hill branch yesterday.
Bizarrely they were past the tills by the exit door, so I looked
round the shop, couldn’t find them, pushed past the queues at
the tills to get out, then found them.

How much sugar should I use to batch prime this, prior to bottling?

Back