B&M kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had a couple of the real ales last night. nice, hoppy, bitter. not bad at all. i got 11L at 4% from following the instructions.

Just put 2 of the ales on in my big fv. Made it short to 20l instead of 23l
£12 for 20l of ale is good in anyone's book!

Just had a bottle of the IPA I bottled last week and it's already carbs up and clear as a bell. Really good and I'm not normally a massive fan of IPA beer.
It can stay in the cellar now to condition for the next 3 weeks and should be a good late summer BBQ beer.

Just kegged my first B&M Bitter - 2 x 10 litre kits.

I substituted one of the 500g Brewing Sugars for 320g of Golden Syrup and added extra 50g of Perle Leaf Hops to the Hop Pellets provided for Dry Hopping.

As expected, the bitterness of the fermented brew is harsh, but I fully expect that to mellow out when it's been carbonated and then sat on the shelf for a couple of months.

All in all, an excellent kit, easy to prepare and ferment (especially with the increased temperature over the last two weeks) and very good value for money. :thumb:

Managed to get the last 2 IPA kits in Skipton B&M today so am pleased i will be able to give them a try. I have a feeling that this will be an one and only delve into home brew from B&M and reading back it has been suggested these are rebranded Range kits. Do the Range kits include sugar & hop pellets and for those that have tried the Range kits do they compare with these from B&M? Been that impressed so far with the Real Ale kit i am just thinking ahead.

Had a look in B&M tonight (Nottingham), still regular price of £7.99 and plenty left. I have a double American IPA kit conditioning in a corny in the fridge that I brewed a week or so ago.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

£8 for 10 litres is expensive as Coopers kits are approx £12 for 20 litres - I use them sometimes but add extra hops

£8 for 10 litres is expensive as Coopers kits are approx £12 for 20 litres - I use them sometimes but add extra hops
It's also to do with the quality of the kit. You get a massive amount of wort in comparison. 1.25 kg for a half batch compared to 0.9 kg in comparison. And you get hops and the brewing sugar if you want to use it. It actually says to make up to 11.5 litres, so they're makes up to 20 bottles means I think they mean pint bottles.

I've only tried one of my bottles made with the dextrose and the hops were lovely but the alcohol was a little burny, but I brewed it split in demijohns and it was nearer 7%, plus only after a week.

I think the b&m kits are a cracking deal. I cant find hops anywhere for less than £3-5 per 100g and most places online then charge £5-6 delivery for small orders. Totally appreciate it if anyone knows anywhere cheaper cause adding hops to extract brewing is a game changer in my humble opinion!

I think the b&m kits are a cracking deal. I cant find hops anywhere for less than £3-5 per 100g and most places online then charge £5-6 delivery for small orders. Totally appreciate it if anyone knows anywhere cheaper cause adding hops to extract brewing is a game changer in my humble opinion!

CrossMyLoof sell small quantities of hops and yeast and the postage is very reasonable

Had a look in B&M tonight (Nottingham), still regular price of £7.99 and plenty left. I have a double American IPA kit conditioning in a corny in the fridge that I brewed a week or so ago.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
On B&M website they are £5.99 yet instore on the shelves they are still at £7.99. If you take one to the till it will go through at 5.99 or at least it did in the 2 stores I visited. Ask them at the till for a price check first.

Shelf label is £5.99 in my local store - no IPA though. :(

Boxes of 12 swing top bottles reduced to £7.99

Attachments

• 20180731_172706.jpg
    20180731_172706.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 179
Kits are £5.99 in my local (Derby Cav) no ipa tho. Gonna give the real ale a go as im not really a fan of desperado and it has no additional hops!

Found some of the IPAs in a different store, so I grabbed three of them. Oddly the kits were in the kitchen section, while the swing top bottles and FVs were in the drinks section.

Just kegged my first B&M Bitter - 2 x 10 litre kits.

I substituted one of the 500g Brewing Sugars for 320g of Golden Syrup and added extra 50g of Perle Leaf Hops to the Hop Pellets provided for Dry Hopping.

As expected, the bitterness of the fermented brew is harsh, but I fully expect that to mellow out when it's been carbonated and then sat on the shelf for a couple of months.

All in all, an excellent kit, easy to prepare and ferment (especially with the increased temperature over the last two weeks) and very good value for money. :thumb:

Have you tried one yet? What made u try perle hops? What hops would you suggest that lean towards a old speckled hen style with it being an "amber ale"?

Just bought a real ale and an American ipa.
They're made at the same place as mangrove jack (Ellesmere Port).
There's a nitrogen or co2 flushed pack of pellets for dry hopping in each kit. The real ale contains 900g of liquid extract and a 500g pack of dextrose to take it to its target gravity. The ipa has 1.25kg of extract plus the same 500g of dextrose as the real ale.

Bargain for £8 I'd say

Cheers. Tom

How did ur real ale work out? Did u add anything or suggest anything to add in hindsight?

Have you tried one yet? What made u try perle hops? What hops would you suggest that lean towards a old speckled hen style with it being an "amber ale"?

Er ... my usual reason! i.e. I had some Perle left over from an AG brew! (Ditto the Citra that is currently Dry Hopping a Coopers Lager.)

It's so long since I had an OSH that I can't even remember what it tastes like so I can't really comment. What I do know is that the B&M brew is genuinely "bitter", but as I've not brewed this before I'm not sure how much of that has come from the Perle!

I have had a Coopers Lager before and I'm hoping that the Citra Dry Hop will give it a "citrus" kick that will stay with the brew even after conditioning for a couple of months!

But then again, "Live in hope." is a mantra round here1 :laugh8:

PS Tried one? Maybe in September! athumb..

Back