B8's Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I'd do a proper write up with photos from today's brew. In fact as I did an overnight mash it started yesterday. This was an attempt at @foxbat's Fuggle Duck bitter but adjusted to use up some ingredients I already had.

Trying out my new pump for the first time, it's small but does the job perfectly. Works well for me with the klarstein @Rodcx500z.
IMG_20210212_080200.jpg

Also trying out the helix filter for the first time. This worked really well when draining the kettle but is a pain to clean afterwards.
IMG_20210212_082252.jpg

Artistic grain bill photo
IMG_20210211_223656.jpg

Malts (3.51 kg)
2.8 kg (79.8%) — Maris Otter Pale Malt
350 g (10%) — Caramunich
200 g (5.7%) — Light Crystal
140 g (4%) — Oats, Flaked
20 g (0.6%) — Chocolate

Overnight mash starting at 67deg went well but the sparge/lauter was the slowest ever. I think the grain crush was a bit fine and also the oats probably didn't help. I was left with this...
IMG_20210212_093442.jpg

Felt a bit sorry for the klarstein out there today so I gave it a blanket :laugh8:
IMG_20210212_094913.jpg

Hops (106 g)
8 g (13 IBU) — Magnum 12% — 60 min
13 g (5 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — 15 min
10 g (3 IBU) — Fuggles 4.5% — 15 min
17 g (4 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — 10 min
14 g (3 IBU) — Fuggles 4.5% — 10 min
24 g (3 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — 5 min
20 g (3 IBU) — Fuggles 4.5% — 5 min

Using the pump to recirculate during chilling worked really well and it was down to pitching temperature within 20 minutes. I will be able to use this to do proper whirlpools/hop stands which will be great. With the helix as well the wort was crystal clear and I loved the fact that I could just divert the flow straight into the fermenter.
IMG_20210212_142230.jpg

I was also using Brew Father for the first time after using Brewers Friend up until now. I definitely prefer it but something must need recalibrating with my equipment profile as I was way up on efficiency and 2L down on fermenter volume. I had collected a few extra litres of RO water for this eventuality so I topped up with this after boiling and cooling.

So just short of 19L at 1.044 in the fermenter with CML Beior pitched and we will see how this goes athumb.. Aiming for 1.010-1.012 for just over 4% and 34 ibus.

IMG_20210212_142256.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I'd do a proper write up with photos from today's brew. In fact as I did an overnight mash it started yesterday. This was an attempt at @foxbat's Fuggle Duck bitter but adjusted to use up some ingredients I already had.

Trying out my new pump for the first time, it's small but does the job perfectly. Works well for me with the klarstein @Rodcx500z. View attachment 41366

Also trying out the helix filter for the first time. This worked really well when draining the kettle but is a pain to clean afterwards. View attachment 41367

Artistic grain bill photo View attachment 41373
Malts (3.51 kg)
2.8 kg (79.8%) — Maris Otter Pale Malt
350 g (10%) — Caramunich
200 g (5.7%) — Light Crystal
140 g (4%) — Oats, Flaked
20 g (0.6%) — Chocolate

Overnight mash starting at 69deg went well but the sparge/lauter was the slowest ever. I think the grain crush was a bit fine and also the oats probably didn't help. I was left with this... View attachment 41369

Felt a bit sorry for the klarstein out there today so I gave it a blanket :laugh8: View attachment 41370

Hops (106 g)
8 g (13 IBU) — Magnum 12% — 60 min
13 g (5 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — 15 min
10 g (3 IBU) — Fuggles 4.5% — 15 min
17 g (4 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — 10 min
14 g (3 IBU) — Fuggles 4.5% — 10 min
24 g (3 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — 5 min
20 g (3 IBU) — Fuggles 4.5% — 5 min

Using the pump to recirculate during chilling worked really well and it was down to pitching temperature within 20 minutes. I will be able to use this to do proper whirlpools/hop stands which will be great. With the helix as well the wort was crystal clear and I loved the fact that I could just divert the flow straight into the fermenter.
View attachment 41371

I was also using Brew Father for the first time after using Brewers Friend up until now. I definitely prefer it but something must need recalibrating with my equipment profile as I was way up on efficiency and 2L down on fermenter volume. I had collected a few extra litres of RO water for this eventuality so I topped up with this after boiling and cooling.

So just short of 19L at 1.044 in the fermenter with CML Beior pitched and we will see how this goes athumb..

View attachment 41372
Great that Chris thanks for the write up, have you a link for the pump

Fuggles + EKG = classic English bitter. Can't really go wrong with that. It should be a nice easy drinker.

Cheers Chris, i will get one ordered but not sure on ali express with all the import tariffs i will have a look on amazon athumb..
No worries. I have ordered a few things recently and was a bit sceptical but there have been no unexpected charges apart from the VAT charged at checkout.

Just ordered some grain bags after my recent stuck/slow lauters

No worries. I have ordered a few things recently and was a bit sceptical but there have been no unexpected charges apart from the VAT charged at checkout.

Just ordered some grain bags after my recent stuck/slow lauters
I was looking to order a stir plate do you think it's worth the chance

I was looking to order a stir plate do you think it's worth the chance
I have ordered about 6-8 items this year, all relatively low price goods under £25 and haven't had any problems. Generally they arrive with a customs note saying they are a nominal value of $3 or something.

Kegged my Fuggle Duck bitter this afternoon, FG was 1.008 giving 4.7%. Very clear golden beer and hardly any trub in the fermenter - I think that recirculating the wort through the helix filter whilst chilling worked really well. Closed transfer to keg was so effortless, I'm not regretting saying goodbye to bottling!

I mentioned in my brew day write up that my volumes were off and potentially needed recalibrating, well according to my markers on the fv I had 18.5L but the beer started coming up out of the 'gas out' line with still about half a litre left in the fv. Some measurements need checking somewhere :confused: It was no bother as I have a full keg which is fine by me and the gravity sample tasted spot on, cheers acheers.

Been prepping ready to get the overnight mash on tonight for my first attempt at a neipa. I am going to be using Citra, Mosaic and Zappa hops - this last one I've never seen before but it caught my eye on CML so I thought I'd give it a go. RO water collected, grains weighed out, all equipment prepared and ready to go... I'm looking forward to this one athumb..
IMG_20210305_184554.jpg

Zappa NEIPA
After the overnight mash it was a super easy and straightforward brew day today, all done and cleaned up within 4 hours even with the addition of a 30min hop stand. The addition of a grain bag to my mash tun has sorted the problem with the false bottom blocking and sped the lautering process up dramatically. All went according to plan, OG was a few points down at 1.055 but this should still give a abv of 6%. The Zappa hops had a really strong passion fruit and mango aroma out the packet. Colour looks good, not too sure how much can be taken regarding the haze at this stage. There will be dry hops on days 3 and 6 to a total of 10g/l... Looking forward to this one athumb..
IMG_20210306_120158.jpg

Zappa NEIPA
After the overnight mash it was a super easy and straightforward brew day today, all done and cleaned up within 4 hours even with the addition of a 30min hop stand. The addition of a grain bag to my mash tun has sorted the problem with the false bottom blocking and sped the lautering process up dramatically. All went according to plan, OG was a few points down at 1.055 but this should still give a abv of 6%. The Zappa hops had a really strong passion fruit and mango aroma out the packet. Colour looks good, not too sure how much can be taken regarding the haze at this stage. There will be dry hops on days 3 and 6 to a total of 10g/l... Looking forward to this one athumb..
View attachment 42652
What grain bill did you go for. I planning my next attempt with Talus and citra hops

What grain bill did you go for. I planning my next attempt with Talus and citra hops
The grain bill was as follows for a 19L batch. I didn't follow a particular recipe but put it together from reading general advice on brewing the style and from what I usually have available.

3kg Pale Malt
500g MO
500g Flaked Oats
250g Wheat Malt
250g Carapils
200g Torrified Wheat

Just taken a gravity sample of my Zappa NEIPA
IMG_20210314_185441.jpg

1.010 so it's finished and currently chilling down ready for kegging in a couple of days. Colour is spot on, aroma lovely, flavour is very intense passion fruit but I'm not sure on these Zappa hops yet - perhaps it's a bit too intense, we will see... No hop burn though so overall I am very pleased so far athumb..

Kegged my NEIPA this evening, FG was 1.007 to give 6.3%. Aroma is the most amazing passion fruit. Looking forward to trying this at the weekend.

Latest posts

Back