Back on the horse

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was my first brew day since September and I have made the GH oatmeal stout.

I heated up 27l of water in the Peco to 73 degrees. (Actually heated it to 80 and had to let it cool. Took my eye off the thermometer whilst playing with the kids 😂)

Doughed in and give it a good stir. Temp was 68 degrees at the beginning of the mash.

Recipe calls for a 60m mash, the last oatmeal stout I made (GEB Oatmeal breakfast stout kit) was a 90m mash so I was undecided whether to mash for 60 or 90 minutes. As it happened, kids got in the way again and it ended up a 1h55m mash 😂
Final temperature was 64 degrees, so the sleeping bag is doing a decent enough job.
The recipe called for 39g of challenger 7% for 60m in the boil.
My brews always come out less bitter and hoppy than I expect (maybe due to hop bags?) so I chucked in 45g as a FWH. Didn’t bother with the 0m additions as my experience so far using Kveik is that it strips out the flavour anyway.

Boiled for an hour, and chilled. Slight hiccup here was that my thermometer must have been too close to the chiller coil, so I removed the chiller too soon, thinking it had reached 45degrees, only to find that once I brought it inside it was still in the high 50s. It’s currently sat by the back door waiting to hit 40 so I can pitch.

The last stout I made was absolutely stunning and I used Hornindial.
My cropped hornindial has been in the fridge for 4 months so I’m not too sure of the viability and I couldn’t be bothered with a starter.
My brew fridge still has food in since Christmas, so that ruled out the Nottingham. Process of elimination means it’s getting fermented with CML dry kveik (Voss?) so I don’t need to worry about temp control. I’ll pitch at 40degrees and insulate.

I read that this yeast needs lots of oxygen and nutrient so I aerated plenty and added an out of date pouch of Wilko ale yeast in the last 15 of the boil.

OG was 1.047 ( recipe estimate was 1.049, so not too far off)
Recipe predicts an FG of 1.014, but I’ve not used this yeast before so who knows, but it’s going to end up somewhere between 4 and 5%, which is all good for a stout.

Forgot to measure post boil volume, and therefore couldn’t measure volume into fermentor, but got 20l + so not a bad day.
I can tell that I am out of practice, but fingers crossed the beer comes out nice.

Ended up pitching the yeast at 11pm last night once the temperature had dropped to 40degrees.

Checked it at 7am to see if it had started yet. I couldn’t hear any airlock activity so had a peek under the sleeping bag.

It’s going crazy! Not used this yeast before but it looks like it’s off to a flying start.

Temperature reads 38 degrees. It’s not temperature controlled, just insulated.

Attachments

• 0E5A7FCD-C5D0-4B35-B42D-28B5B50B9878.png
    0E5A7FCD-C5D0-4B35-B42D-28B5B50B9878.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 47
Just checked the gravity of this and it’s down to 1.014, just 65 hours after pitching.

Im going to give it a few days longer in the primary, then keg on Thursday and force carb so it’s ready for the weekend.

It tastes ok, not as full bodied as my last stout (GEB Oatmeal stout, fermented with hornindial), but it will improve with carbonation and some conditioning time I am sure.

Just checked the gravity of this and it’s down to 1.014, just 65 hours after pitching.

Im going to give it a few days longer in the primary, then keg on Thursday and force carb so it’s ready for the weekend.

It tastes ok, not as full bodied as my last stout (GEB Oatmeal stout, fermented with hornindial), but it will improve with carbonation and some conditioning time I am sure.

Kegged this today. 18 or so litres in the keg and 4 x 500ml bottles too.

FG was 1.014, so a touch over 4.5%.

I could have got 2 or 3 more bottles out of it but couldn’t be bothered washing and sanitising any more.

In the kegerator now at 25psi, I will turn down to serving pressure tomorrow and shake it a couple of times in between so that it’s ready to drink at the weekend.

Back