Back Sweeten

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AFAIK it's potassium sorbate and sodium metabisulfite this should stop fermentation.

Then add apple juice to taste.

Force carb in keg.

back sweeten using non fermentable sweeteners? Xylitol, lactose etc. If you do this then above steps not required and you could bottle carb.

AFAIK it's potassium sorbate and sodium metabisulfite this should stop fermentation.

Then add apple juice to taste.

Force carb in keg.

back sweeten using non fermentable sweeteners? Xylitol, lactose etc. If you do this then above steps not required and you could bottle carb.
I plan to bottle so will look to a sweetener. Can I add this a week into fermentation. How much would I need? The batch is 16 litres

I plan to bottle so will look to a sweetener. Can I add this a week into fermentation. How much would I need? The batch is 16 litres

You can add at any stage if it's none fermentable even in the glass. I tend to to sweeten at the racking stage after fermentation and use Tesco sweetener. At least at this stage you can have a taste and an idea of how much sweeter you'd like the brew. I've got used to roughly how much to add into 23l for my taste so just tip it in. Best way to do it at first is when bottling just put a known amount of cider in to a glass, say 250ml add sweetener 1/2tsp at a time till you get the sweetness you like then multiply by 4 to get the amount per litre.

You can add at any stage if it's none fermentable even in the glass. I tend to to sweeten at the racking stage after fermentation and use Tesco sweetener. At least at this stage you can have a taste and an idea of how much sweeter you'd like the brew. I've got used to roughly how much to add into 23l for my taste so just tip it in. Best way to do it at first is when bottling just put a known amount of cider in to a glass, say 250ml add sweetener 1/2tsp at a time till you get the sweetness you like then multiply by 4 to get the amount per litre.
Good Idea, will give that a go.

I've read sucralose (Splenda) breaks down after some time and becomes kind of disagreeble.

Xylitol I've read is a better choice. Erythritol might be better than xylitol. You can add your sweetener and enough regular sugar to carbonate and have sweet, bubbly cider.

I've read sucralose (Splenda) breaks down after some time and becomes kind of disagreeble.

Xylitol I've read is a better choice. Erythritol might be better than xylitol. You can add your sweetener and enough regular sugar to carbonate and have sweet, bubbly cider.
I was going with xylitol as I can get some with my ASDA order.

If you are ok with artificial sweeteners then go for it, athumb..

As someone who has seen the results of a bottle bomb I know what that can mean.

Me:> well the drier the better.Just takes a bit longer to mature that's all.

PS. I am diabetic type2

Is one sweetener tab plus normal amount of priming sugar ok if bottling

Latest posts

Back