Back sweetening??

Discussion in 'Beer Kit Brewing Discussion.' started by kakistos_uk, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Sep 23, 2017 #1

kakistos_uk

kakistos_uk

kakistos_uk

kakistos_uk

Hi

I think I've made an error.

I've got a batch of wheat beer and like an idiot I used honey instead of sugar. I normally make mead and it was all I have. It is very fermentable and left a drier taste that I've seen before.

It was a coopers kit with 1kg of crush malt extra, 1.5 pounds of honey with a orange zest & coriander tea.

There is a dry taste to it that is underwhelming the taste of the coriander and orange.

Any idea how I sweeten it a little? Do I just dump more sugar in?

I'm certain its finished fermenting (two weeks in the FV).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Sep 23, 2017 #2

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Regular. Supporting Member

My advice would be to make a sugar solution and add a bit to the glass when drinking. Thats what i intend to do with my cider. Either that or add a shot of sweet mead. If you add it to the fv it could start fermenting again..

3. Sep 23, 2017 #3

Ciaran12s

Ciaran12s

Ciaran12s

Splenda?

I've never used it or backsweetened. I have a coopers amber ale kit going at the minute. I had already bought it and looked around for tweak ideas to find nothing other than "this kit is crap".

I thought I might as well experiment so I added the juice and zest of one pink grapefruit at the beginning of fermentation and it was VERY bitter. I might sweeten with splenda at the end to try and turn the bitterness down a notch. That's a couple of weeks away yet though.