Back to brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portreath

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Brew dudes!!!
After working 7 days a week and way too many hours a day in the diner this summer, the tourists have all but sodded off, so less hours to work which means I'm now able to plan a brew day. Thinking of a Black IPA kind of like St Austell's Proper black. Has anyone tried this style?

Welcome back!

Haven't tried Proper Black yet but I've brewed my Chequered Flag Black IPA twice now:
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/matt76s-brewdays.81971/page-2#post-827957

It's one of my favourites so far, I really like the way it combines hoppiness (but not over the top) with malt complexity.

I've also got a Baltic Porter conditioning for winter, essentially a strong black lager (see brew day thread above) - an interesting exercise in temperature control in summer without a brew fridge!

:beer1:

Welcome Portreath, Aarrgghh! Cornwall in the grockle season. The stuff of nightmares. Love Cornwall, don't get me wrong. Haven't tried Proper Black either, but a black IPA is certainly your man. I might get one on, too, before the lager season is well and truly upon us. Harvesting the hops today and they go straight in at the <80C rest. Better get on with it instead of talking to you lot.

Yes, tourist season is 6-7 weeks of mayhem. But, good for local traders though. So onto my next brew, an English Black IPA, then will set my sights on a lager.
Just found 200g of Saaz hops (4.7 AA%) in my kit box so will be looking to use these in the larger. May need to ask as I've not used these hops before.

Saaz are the perfect hop for a lager- especially a Czech lager.
Wrong hop for a black IPA, I would say. Go for CTZ for bittering, Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, Centennial, Chinook or anything of that ilk for flavour. Have you got a recipe?

I’ve made a black ipa three times, loosely based on Saltaire Brewery’s version. Hopped with Magnum for bitterness and Cascade for late additions and dry hop. One had some Pilgrim added as a dry hop too. Between 5% and 7% chocolate malt, one had a bit of Munich and special b (just to use up). IBUs were 40, 50 and 60 and they have all been good.

Back