Backpressure causing stuck ferment?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkula

Landlord.
Reaction score
I saw an owner of a company (not calling anyone out) say that overfilling airlocks can cause too much backpressure that can lead to a stuck ferment. Now because of all the brewing under pressure with faancy valves and all that I thought this sounded like it might not be true. Anybody heard of this or do you think it's a load of tripe?

Yeah, the dreaded "Saison stall" (when using the Dupont yeast) gets attributed to this "airlock back-pressure". This "owner of a company" seems to be taking that suggestion out of context: Or, to give my opinion (as someone who's used fancy valves and brewing under pressure) it's a load of (I'd prefer to use something a bit more graphical than "tripe").

Agreed - I've fermented ale strains under pressure without problems. On a commercial scale there must be much higher pressure on the yeast at the bottom of big FVs than we could ever achieve with an airlock at home.

Well, until I learn that bottom fermenting yeasts are used commercially in no deeper than 6 inch high fermentation vessels, I will have to side with the view that it sounds like a bunch of sludge to me.

Thanks everyone. I've got 2 x 30 bottles of wine kit stuff on now and wondered if I should dump some of the airlock water. Not happening now.

To put this in perspective, commonly observed atmospheric pressure varies between 970 and 1040 mb a variation of 70mb which equates to 700mm of H2O so complete and utter tripe!

Only real problem with overfilling an airlock is that when you pull the bung out of the demijohn or whatever you risk sucking the airlock fluid back into the DJ.

Latest posts

Back