Backsweetening cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury_tea

Landlord.
Reaction score
I added sodium metabisuphate and potassium sorbate to my cider yesterday. It's 10L of cider, and I'd had a few beers and accidentally misread my notes... instead of putting 1 campden, I put 1 teaspoon of sodium metabisuphate powder.

Is this loads too much? Is it still ok to drink, you reckon?

That is way too much.
BUT, all it does is release sulphur dioxide gas, which should eventually disperse.
You could try leaving it in a vessel with a lot of head room, maybe stirring from time to time for a week or so to help remove the excess gas.
Then taste, and if all is well, bottle it, and leave to mature. If it tastes like *****, just bin it...

Wouldn't be giving that to anyone with asthma or any other respiratory issues. Sulphites will throw them into an attack.

Update on this: I kegged it, and after 3 weeks it has turned out a pretty nice tipple.

After some reading I realised 1 campden = 0.44g of powder. So I added 16 times what I'd meant to add.

Tasted the first pint after couple days and it was definitely sulphurous (slightly eggy), I did notice by the time I'd drank half a pint the smell was gone. I purged the keg every now and then (maybe 6-8 times in total) over the course of about 3 weeks and that smell has completely subsided now.

Latest posts

Back