Bad brew signs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickCarroll

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if there are any telltale signs your brew is contaminated, I've a suspicion that my current muttons European pils is going bad in the FV

These white lumps are rising from the bottom then sinking again, I also noticed some funny white foaming occoring but that seems to have cleared up today

Attachments

• 20210226_162611.jpg
    20210226_162611.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 70
I will be mortified the day this ever happens to me
@NickCarroll
It’s harder to get an infection and to ruin your beer than you think. I think most times, when people think they have an infection, they don’t. Personally, even after brewing for a good while now, if I taste my brew too early, I will be like. Omg there is something wrong with it. It tastes wrong. I’ll give it another week though and it will be perfect and I will be thinking to myself, chill out mate. Jeez.
Be clean. Follow a good recipe and don’t panic during fermentation. (People always panic during fermentation) 🍻

Looks fine to me.

I had a ginger beer plant as a child and used to love watching the yeast clumps rise and fall through the liquid, its like a natural lava lamp.

We would probably have more patience and enjoy primary fermentation more if all FV buckets were transparent.

Using Mangrove Jack's M44 I had similar. Looked like little donuts. They would pop up when I took the lid off. No problem whatsoever with the beer

Thanks for the advise guys, I've checked again today and all seems well, I've checked the gravity and it's down to 1.004, I've got some wine finings and noticed the stage 2 is the same solution as beer finings, can I use stage 1 solution in the beer or is it best to leave it out?

1.004 is rather low for a kit brew but not beyond the bounds of possibility. Is your hydrometer reading 1.000 in room temperature water?

No need to replace it, it's quite common for the paper scale in the tube to slip. Just add 6 points to your readings.

That makes your 1.004 actually 1.009 - 1.010 which is perfect really.
Cheers mate, much appreciated

Back