Badger Cranbourne Poacher Extract Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus_123

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm planning to try and extract clone of one of my favourite beers, Badger's Cranbourne Poacher.

Having scoured a few old threads, alongside a bit of creative thinking on my part, I've come up with the following:

Fermentables:
3 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light
500 g Dry Malt Extract - Amber

Steeping Grains
200 g Chocolate Malt
400 g Crystal Malt

Hops
50 g Challenger 60 min
40 g Kent Goldings 15 min
30 g Bramling Cross 0 min

Other Ingredients
100 g Liquorice Stick 30 min.
40 ml Plum Extract (add at bottling)

Safale S-04 English Ale Yeast

My main questions concern the amount and timing of the liquorice addition and the amount of plum extract (I decided to go with extract to keep things simple and avoid the extra sugar from plums or jam) but any advice would be more than welcome!

Thanks in advance

Do they put plum and liquorice in the real Camborne Poacher? I have looked at the bottle and it only listed malt/water/hops/yeast as ingredients.

I always wondered how they got the intense fruity flavours... But if they add plum extract that's the simple answer!

But to answer your question, add the plum liquorice extract at the end of the boil. That way it'll sanitise it, but won't boil off all the aromatics or have the extra sugar burn on the element

But to answer your question, add the plum liquorice extract at the end of the boil. That way it'll sanitise it, but won't boil off all the aromatics or have the extra sugar burn on the element

Thanks.

I remember reading an old thread on which someone mentioned that they had spoken with the brewery and found out that they used a natural flavour extract rather than fresh fruits. That's all the info I could find though. I was going to add the extract when bottling, but might try the end of the boil as per your suggestion instead.

For the liquorice, I was going to use one liquorice stick (about 10g). Not sure if you (or anyone) has any experience with brewing with liquorice sticks so any advice on whether that quantity sounds like enough would be great!

Back