Badger Golden Champion urghh whats that taste?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddsy

Regular.
Reaction score
I really enjoy most Badger brewery beers but last night had a bottle of their golden champion.

First beer Ive had to pour away as long as I can remember. There was a smell taste I couldnt place and Id like to know what it is so I can avoid it.

I see it says its flavored with Elder flower but I dont think thats it as I like Elder flower!

Personally I dont like saffron and the taste I was detecting reminded me of that same "old"or "out of date" taste I feel saffron gives.

Any ideas?

Cheers buddsy

I really enjoy most Badger brewery beers but last night had a bottle of their golden champion.

First beer Ive had to pour away as long as I can remember. There was a smell taste I couldnt place and Id like to know what it is so I can avoid it.

I see it says its flavored with Elder flower but I dont think thats it as I like Elder flower!

Personally I dont like saffron and the taste I was detecting reminded me of that same "old"or "out of date" taste I feel saffron gives.

Any ideas?

Cheers buddsy
It's yonks since I've had one and they could well have changed the recipe since it now seems to be available on draught. I could never manage more than a couple, though. They used to do a peach flavoured one called Golden Glory and I really struggled with that one.

As a side note I do enjoy other golden ales. Aldi Harpers Golden ale & Badgers Hopping Hare. Both of these are quite hoppy beers. I just wonder what it is I dont like in their award winning Golden Champion?

buddsy

I adored their golden glory, it was the peachiest beer Ive ever tasted, sadly its been lost to history.

Thankfully the memory will allow me to remind all the youngsters that beer was much better in my day.

For flavour and smugness factor, it scored a 10 out of 10.

Latest posts

Back