Bag for biab

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on how big you brew. Full brew of 7 kg of grain, absorbs about 4 liters of water, 11 kg... I don't think it's an issue of bag breaking. It's made for a 100 liter pot. It's more like can you lift it out with a single hand!?!?
Advice would be to find a bucket that fits on the rim of the pot. Cut large holes, 20 mm or so, so you can pick up the grain bag, put the bucket in the pot and place the grain bag in the bucket to drain and sparge.

It should be OK, as its meant for a 70l pot. But its quite cheap for a bag and doesn't say anything about having handles - which you'll need for the pulley.

For my 50L pot I had to buy a special bag (for the width) it was about �£15-20 (cannot remember if I was honest).. now I know people make their own but this bag is great quality very strong and a few people talk about recirculating BIAB mash water to get a clearer wort.. I dont know whether it is because the material is a bit more robust than say a paint strainer (and the one pictured) but my wort comes out very clear with it and I don't recirculate or sparge just mash out and boil.

If it was me I would go for something a little more robust

THis is similar to what I got

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAG-for-h...650488?hash=item1c617cc278:g:JB4AAOSwHjNWBSry

For my 50L pot I had to buy a special bag (for the width) it was about ��£15-20 (cannot remember if I was honest).. now I know people make their own but this bag is great quality very strong and a few people talk about recirculating BIAB mash water to get a clearer wort.. I dont know whether it is because the material is a bit more robust than say a paint strainer (and the one pictured) but my wort comes out very clear with it and I don't recirculate or sparge just mash out and boil.

If it was me I would go for something a little more robust

THis is similar to what I got

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAG-for-h...650488?hash=item1c617cc278:g:JB4AAOSwHjNWBSry

This is the same that I bought from Brewinabag.co.uk. Same price for a 40l bag. Larger bags a little more expensive. No problem lifting about 25kgs. Just don't heat it whilst mashing, unless the bag is kept well away from the source of heat. I contacted the seller and he was kind enough to send me an offcut for just the price of postage in order to repair the hole I burnt in mine!

This is the same that I bought from Brewinabag.co.uk. Same price for a 40l bag. Larger bags a little more expensive. No problem lifting about 25kgs. Just don't heat it whilst mashing, unless the bag is kept well away from the source of heat. I contacted the seller and he was kind enough to send me an offcut for just the price of postage in order to repair the hole I burnt in mine!

I have a microwave stand which I sit in the bottom of my pot so when I add the bag and grains they are kept off the bottom which aids mash out.

Thank you for the help
I'am still trying to decide on whether a 70 litre pot is the right thing to buy
The more recerch I do the more confused I get:doh:
I'am tempted to try mashing in a 23 l FV and boil up the Walt in some thing smaller
But f..ked if I no what I should do at the moment lol
Maybe buy a beer kit and slow down on the AG idea for a wile
Frustrating moan over :whistle:

I have a microwave stand which I sit in the bottom of my pot so when I add the bag and grains they are kept off the bottom which aids mash out.

I bought a colander in Poundland and I had planned to use that. However I went without a false bottom for my first brew and didn't have any problem.

Thank you for the help
I'am still trying to decide on whether a 70 litre pot is the right thing to buy
The more recerch I do the more confused I get:doh:
I'am tempted to try mashing in a 23 l FV and boil up the Walt in some thing smaller
But f..ked if I no what I should do at the moment lol
Maybe buy a beer kit and slow down on the AG idea for a wile
Frustrating moan over :whistle:

Sorry just give yourself some aims and then maybe we could help

first of all you want to go AG? thats great you have the space and time for that assuming.

Regardless of what method you use, you will still your need fermenting equipment so if you want to continue gaining experience with kits in the mean time go for it.

with regards to AG I would first ask what sort of volumes are you looking to do? smaller 5-10 liter batches or standard larger ones of 20-23L or something bigger

with the pot and bag you're almost ready for it.. how would you intend to heat the wort and boil it? you might need a gas ring and propane tank if you're going outside.

HTML:
Sorry just give yourself some aims and then maybe we could help

first of all you want to go AG? thats great you have the space and time for that assuming.

Regardless of what method you use, you will still your need fermenting equipment so if you want to continue gaining experience with kits in the mean time go for it.

with regards to AG I would first ask what sort of volumes are you looking to do? smaller 5-10 liter batches or standard larger ones of 20-23L or something bigger

with the pot and bag you're almost ready for it.. how would you intend to heat the wort and boil it? you might need a gas ring and propane tank if you're going outside.

Thanks so much, I was having a its to much day yesterday lol
Well I got this today for������£50, 70 litre with a 5.5 kW burner

image.jpeg

I just ordered the bag, it's getting exciting now
I just need the next influx off cash to Finnish my kit

Advice, brew small at first so you don't get 23 liters of beer you don't like. But, what you got is good.
Once you find a recipe you like and is comfortable to you, then brew a big one, let it ferment out a lot, bottle and let it condition for a good month. During that time, small batch brew a ton. Try different hops and blends of grains.
I have 12, 8 liter glass FV and I try to keep most of them full. I also have 3, 30 liter FV. I usually have 1 always full working on a recipe I like.

Sorry to come back on this five years on but I too am thinking of putting a microwave stand in the bottom of my Electrim bin for mashing tomorrow but just wonder if there are any likely adverse consequences for leaving it in for the boil as it is all happening in the same vessel.

Latest posts

Back