Bag in box carbonation

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Higgbot1970

Reaction score
Hey all, has anyone had any experience of, rather than bottling or kegging,using bag in box? Im thinking of giving it a go mainly for space reasons,but can these bags stay whole and not burst during carb? I've got ten 5 litre bags and 5 boxes from a company called jigsaw. Your knowledge is appreciated

Dads_Ale

Crafty Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I think these are the ones I tried a few years ago if they are the double skinned versions.
I never had a lot of success, the main reason being the inner layer is gas permeable so I found the CO2 generated during the secondary fermentation got trapped between the bag layers meaning I couldn't vent any excess pressure and they blew up like a balloon but the beer only had minimal carbonation.

I had the boxes strengthened with cable ties and the did hold quite a bit of pressure. If you have already got some then may be worth a try but keep the priming quite low.
DSCF4879.JPG

Higgbot1970

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Mine are only a single bag of plastic in an unlined cardboard box. The fact that you say it doesn't carb has made me think twice. 5 litres is a bit too much to waste. I might make some ginger beer and try that first. Thanks again

Dads_Ale

Crafty Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On mine I think a lot of the lack of carbonation was due to the gas getting in between the bag layers rather than staying in the beer.
I did get a single wall 5 litre bag to try out but never got around to using it.

Higgbot1970

Reaction score
I've made ginger beer in plastic bottles before using table sugar and Allinson's baking yeast and it carbed quite a lot,so I'm making some tomorrow and bagging it. I'll let you know how it goes💥