Bags in boxes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coopsy

Reaction score
Hi, just wondered if any of you have used the bags in boxes for your wine or cider, and what where the results.

I just purchased 10 x 5 litre b/i/b and will be using them for a 5 litre kit of red wine, and a 5 gallon brew of turbo cider, any advice welcome.

Many thanks.

"I would give up beer, but i'm no quitter" :cheers:

I recycled one for a wine batch. Did the trick and would do it again for something that didn't need much ageing.

To recycle you need to pry the tap out. Circlip pliers are ideal.

DrD said:
I recycled one for a wine batch. Did the trick and would do it again for something that didn't need much ageing.

I tried to re-use the one I got with my Wilkos kit and the tap wouldn't budge! no matter what I used or how hard I pulled and twisted. Gutted that I had to throw it away.

supersteve said:
DrD said:

I tried to re-use the one I got with my Wilkos kit and the tap wouldn't budge! no matter what I used or how hard I pulled and twisted. Gutted that I had to throw it away.
+1 for that

I purchased from this web site http://www.baginboxonline.co.uk/ , it was cheaper by far than anything on e-bay, although the minimum order is 10, received them yesterday, and they look good quality, certainly look sturdy enough for re-use.

I much prefer the polypin. The tap unscrews and also provides a free flow of wine. The box design is more sophisticated and with care lasts for years, with the help of gaffer tape!

I use them all the time. Typically making the Kenridge Classic kits. Fill 4 x 5L bags and the rest into bottles and it seems to keep fine for a few months (but doesn't last that long when you have wine on tap!!).

I think they key is to only push the tap in to the 2nd notch. This gives a good enough seal to stop it leaking but easy enough to get out again.

I am probably using some of mine for the 4th or 5th time and they still seem fine.

Back