Bake your first sourdough 🤤

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFB

Landlord.
Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in baking there first (or hundredth) sourdough loaf??
Think it could be fun for a few of us to real time produce a loaf.
I'd be happy to start with making a starter and coach you through the process to go on and bake a loaf. With loads of pics of course.
Anyone interested can tag along and show pics as we go along.
The whole project would take about two weeks.
Only bit if equipment you'll need is a cast iron pot(croc pot).
All though I've managed in a saucepan before 🤷🏼‍♂️
PXL_20201225_103810401.jpg

ditto. always seemed like too much hard work but it's about time i gave it a go. i bake regular loaves (2LB tin types) fairly often.

I love sourdough breads! I started one but we went away and I guess the kitchen got too cold, it was on top of the fridge for a gentle warmth.

ditto. always seemed like too much hard work but it's about time i gave it a go. i bake regular loaves (2LB tin types) fairly often.
It seems like a lot of work. But once you've got your starter it's less work than a normal loaf.
I'll make it as simple as possible and virtually no knead.

Three ingredients to sourdough.
Bread flour
Salt
Water
Very simple 👍

I baked a lot of sourdough a couple of years ago but haven't used Eddie my starter in about eight months. I've completely switched to yeast breads pizzas and pastries now. I just prefer them i think.

I bake a fair amount of breads with yeast based dough and like @lupinehorror have always thought that sour doughs would be too much fuss. However, my wife and I were only saying earlier today how nice sour dough bread is, so I am up for giving it a go.

Is there a good daily time we can go with?
I'm on furlough yet again 😢
Maybe the evening so we can go through the steps at a similar time.
I'll work out a rough itinerary and guide tomorrow.
Then we can think of a good starting date.
I'm sure there will be a couple of my beers up for grabs for my favourite loaf🙌

i'm definitely still in but won't be able to keep up with a schedule. will however follow along and post any results.

I’m definitely in. I have been baking it fairly regularly but my starter died when my kids were quarantining in my house a few weeks ago. Would love to join in.

I'm in.

I tried making a sourdough starter earlier in the year but it didnt take off (or whatever the expression is)

This was one of Hollywood's recipes where you add grapes. Not sure if that introduces sugar or wild yeast.

On reflection, I think the grapes were frozen (use instead of ice cubes in wine) so if it's supposed to introduce yeasts, then they were probably dead.

Might explain it.

How bizarre- started to (attempt to) make my first starter last night- I'll see how it goes, but will be watching!!!

Latest posts

Back