Bake your first sourdough 🤤

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m joining in a couple of weeks late guys. My own starter is MIA, last seen last weekend after a pizza/loaf double header in the wood fired oven. Everyone in the house is denying washing out a manky Killner jar with some bubbly goop in the bottom. When I catch the culprit theres going to be a real life Homer/Bart style strangling episode. Here‘s starter 2.0 day zero. I’ll report back in a few when its showing some life.

Attachments

• FA6C0DEA-C0E5-4DA1-AACC-74AD873A2310.jpeg
    FA6C0DEA-C0E5-4DA1-AACC-74AD873A2310.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 97
Thanks for created this thread and sharing the info @JFB

I had a sourdough culture up until last year, when I forgot about and had to discard it (yeast & bacteria = Good; mould = Bad). I never really got the hang of having a nice load crumb: the top half always looked great, the the bottom of the loaf looked compressed. This thread has inspired me to have another bash (@JFB you owe my family an apology :) )

:EDIT: I used to also use my starter to make pizza bases following this guide:

Because I'm a bit behind I've got confused. Kevin is nice and big in the jar but I'm supposed to be throwing all but 30g of him away and chucking a new batch of flour and water in every day from now on right? I'm on day 4.

Because I'm a bit behind I've got confused. Kevin is nice and big in the jar but I'm supposed to be throwing all but 30g of him away and chucking a new batch of flour and water in every day from now on right? I'm on day 4.
Yes that's it.
But save the spent starter and pan fry it for a tasty snack👍

I baked my second sourdough this morning using Shipton Mill's Organic Light Malthouse Flour for the bulk of the flour and a 330ml bottle of home brewed stout instead of water. It's a delicious loaf. If the first two are anything to go by I will have to bake every other day to keep up with demand.

Mine is really more 'splodgy' than yours, it won't hold the shape you have shown in the dutch oven, anyway it's in the oven now, so will see how it goes
How did it come out?
Can be difficult to handle.. it's important to get the weighing correct.
This recipe was 70% hydration, 75% is a whole new ball game!

Any suggestions for how much in a loaf, with say 500g of flour?
Start at 100g, and increase to taste, the only problem is the diastatic power, no distatic power would be better, something like crystal malt would be good but it does have a husk where the malted rye hasn't.

Well I made sour dough frisbee
View attachment 39101
View attachment 39102
Had for lunch with homemade pickles and chutney.
Tasted bready and slightly sour but texture of old boot - wow it took some chewing.
Two main problems:
1. Failure to read, understand and follow simple instructions
2. Failure to read, understand and follow simple instructions
In the fridge I have day one starter and the unused starter from the bread. I guess the day one should have been with the rest? Is this now Jeffrey or the mother of all sour dough?
Great fun, thanks for the lesson, will try a bit harder with the next one 🤣🍻
Did Marvel sponsor your flower?

Hi all, sorry, I'm a bit late getting started and only erm... started my erm... starter on Sunday evening. Plan is to do my "Day 3" step up this evening...

Anyway, this is Sven:
20210112_080700.jpg

He's looking quite bubbly now and the rubber band tells me he's risen a bit overnight since I gave him a stir last night (don't worry, the plastic tub is not airtight).

For the "Day 3" step up, am I right in thinking I will simply add half of this mix/culture to a fresh dose of 60g flour + 60g water?

(And the leftover old stuff will go in the fridge to be fed from time to time for future use?)

Hi all, sorry, I'm a bit late getting started and only erm... started my erm... starter on Sunday evening. Plan is to do my "Day 3" step up this evening...

Anyway, this is Sven:
View attachment 39371

He's looking quite bubbly now and the rubber band tells me he's risen a bit overnight since I gave him a stir last night (don't worry, the plastic tub is not airtight).

For the "Day 3" step up, am I right in thinking I will simply add half of this mix/culture to a fresh dose of 60g flour + 60g water?

(And the leftover old stuff will go in the fridge to be fed from time to time for future use?)
Yep you got it👍
That looks really active already😎

Question for you @JFB please

When I come to re-invigorate the remains of my starter for loaf no. 2 . . . . . I imagine I bring to room temp (it's currently in the fridge) and then feed it? For how long? A couple of days to get it going again? And onle I see some reasonable activity, like the first one, I can just use, say, 100g of it for the next loaf?

I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't need to go through a full 6-7 days process again, I can just do a couple of feeds?

Cheers

Question for you @JFB please

When I come to re-invigorate the remains of my starter for loaf no. 2 . . . . . I imagine I bring to room temp (it's currently in the fridge) and then feed it? For how long? A couple of days to get it going again? And onle I see some reasonable activity, like the first one, I can just use, say, 100g of it for the next loaf?

I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't need to go through a full 6-7 days process again, I can just do a couple of feeds?

Cheers
Yes your right, I always feed mine after baking and out straight in the fridge. It then has plenty of food to slowly eat.
Then when you want to bake go through the 60/60/60 ratio and it should be ready in six to 12 hours.
If looks good use it. If not feed again.
You'll soon get the hang of it.
Luckily you should never need to go through the six day thing again 👍

Another question for you @JFB - how should it smelled at this stage (Day 3)?

Instead of the kinda pleasant sour small I was expecting it was more... I dunno... cheesy feet or maybe baby sick... Maybe not totally vile but still not particularly pleasant either.

As you pointed out earlier, it certainly looked pretty bubbly on the top. And texture wise it was a gloopy, sticky, gluey mess, maybe a bit like porridge.

Fingers crossed... 🤞

Back