Ballsed up ordering from Get Er Brewed - what will this make?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOsprey

Brewing Bad
Reaction score
This is a copy and paste from my other post, but I think only people already invested in that chat will open it, so apologies for the double post.

---------

I used the Get Er Brewed 'build your own recipe' to order my malts... assuming that each would come in a separate bag.

I ordered 5kg of maris otter pale, then 500g each of crisp chocolate, carapils, dark crystal and light crystal... Then could only find one bag in my order - so I weighed it, and sure enough it's 7kg!

So.

Uh.

I guess my next question is, what kind of beer is this likely to make?! If it's a car-crash, I guess I'm OK just putting it down to a mistake, it's only about £8 worth of malt after all. But I'd rather use it. I know the obvious answer is 'just brew it and find out', but I guess I'm hoping that someone will say "This will make this specific thing".

I'll try to refrain from making that mistake again.

Many moons ago I made up a brew from 'leftovers' .... called it my 'bungytin brew' ...... it really was just odds and ends, but ended up very drinkable!

You just never know at times !

If you like the Sara Hughes Ruby Ale i.e. Mild, you could add half of this to 2,5kg of pale malt and that would be along the lines...
With the other half, you might do the same again or try cutting that in half and adding Pale malt and more hops and you've got a sort of brown ale sort of a thing, and so on...

Bin it. For me those ratios of chocolate and crystal are way out even if you cut it with different amounts of pale Malt. Don't we all brew to make beers we love to drink, not to save a few quid?

What hops and yeast have you got?

Challenger and Mandarina,

Yeast:Lallemand Nottingham Beer Yeast[Quantity:1], Fermentis Safale S-04 Yeast 11g[Quantity:1],

Might be worth cutting it with some other pale malt if you have some, otherwise it'll be a bit heavy on the unfermentables.

This was my first order of malt. If I need other malt it'll be another order.

If you like the Sara Hughes Ruby Ale i.e. Mild, you could add half of this to 2,5kg of pale malt and that would be along the lines...
With the other half, you might do the same again or try cutting that in half and adding Pale malt and more hops and you've got a sort of brown ale sort of a thing, and so on...

Doesn't sound massively inspiring for my first brew...

I'm feeling the consensus is 'you cocked up, order some more'

Bin it. For me those ratios of chocolate and crystal are way out even if you cut it with different amounts of pale Malt. Don't we all brew to make beers we love to drink, not to save a few quid?

Yeah this is the conclusion I'm beginning to come to.

I'd use a bit less than 5Kg in 20 litres to make something that'll be kindalike Old Peculier. Check out a recipe to get the hops and bittering rate, and Fanny's your aunt.

I'd definitely brew it!!!! Use that challenger to bitter and notty yeast will attenuate nicely, particularly as Steve says if you mash low and add some sugar. Run it through a calculator to get the ABV / IBU ratio.

OK I'm feeling a bit more hopeful. What I might do then is keep it, order some more of what I meant to order last time, and keep this for when I've brewed a few.

How long do crushed malts last for?

I'm absolutely in the "don't bin it" camp. Why waste perfectly good grain?

If I was you I'd give it a good mix up and split it into 4 (or more) unequal parts (i.e 0.5kg 1.5kg, 2kg & 3kg), then just buy a big bag of base malt and a bunch of different hops and yeasts and start experimenting. You might stumble across something you really like.

Latest posts

Back