Ban on new petrol and diesel cars in UK from 2030 under PM's green plan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see sales of solar panels increasing for those lucky enough to have off street parking so eventually travel will be free and again the poor old terraced house owner will pay a much higher prices to travel by car.

But pay less council tax
You don't need to live in a Manson to have off street parking and if you "choose" to live in a big house you choose to pay more council tax.
In the future when we are forced to drive an EV because we can no longer drive petrol or disels those who cannot charge at home are going to be punished by having to use on street chargers which of course will cost a lot more than If you can plug into your home charger.

You don't need to live in a Manson to have off street parking and if you "choose" to live in a big house you choose to pay more council tax.
In the future when we are forced to drive an EV because we can no longer drive petrol or disels those who cannot charge at home are going to be punished by having to use on street chargers which of course will cost a lot more than If you can plug into your home charger.
People better start looking for housing with parking.

And consider that at any moment they can be locked out of their cars, or even more scarily, locked in perhaps? by a simple phone app glitch

That's nothing to do with the means of propulsion though, that's more to do with the general "computerisation" of modern cars, of which Tesla happen to be a leading example. But you could eg say the same of many people's central heating these days, there's all sorts of things that could be possible via a Nest controller.

Hehe sure, but the thread is about banning petrol diesel cars and I don't believe there are any EVs that are not computerised?

Does it matter? It's still in interesting angle on EVs in my opinion.

Happy to hear of any EVs that are not computerised, are there any?

Hehe sure, but the thread is about banning petrol diesel cars and I don't believe there are any EVs that are not computerised?

These days, how many ICE cars don't depend on electronics to operate the central locking? Let alone by 2030? And non-electric cars have had phone apps for a while - for instance there's been over 100k downloads of the Mercedes app, which has had bugs of its own. But I think it's plausible to say that all major manufacturers will offer a phone app for all their cars, electric and ICE, by 2030 so it's just not really an argument against them.

But as examples of the vulnerability of electronic central locking in general, here's a case of a Thai minister being locked in his BMW by an electronics glitch in 2003 :
https://www.smh.com.au/technology/computer-glitch-traps-thai-minister-in-bmw-20030513-gdgr7n.html
And here's a software bug in Range Rovers in 2015 that could unlock them spontaneously :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33506486

These days, how many ICE cars don't depend on electronics to operate the central locking? Let alone by 2030? And non-electric cars have had phone apps for a while - for instance there's been over 100k downloads of the Mercedes app, which has had bugs of its own. But I think it's plausible to say that all major manufacturers will offer a phone app for all their cars, electric and ICE, by 2030 so it's just not really an argument against them.

But as examples of the vulnerability of electronic central locking in general, here's a case of a Thai minister being locked in his BMW by an electronics glitch in 2003 :
https://www.smh.com.au/technology/computer-glitch-traps-thai-minister-in-bmw-20030513-gdgr7n.html
And here's a software bug in Range Rovers in 2015 that could unlock them spontaneously :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33506486

I am not even sure I am arguing against them, just thought it was interesting.

Honestly, I am not really into cars, so I have no idea, the last car I had was an VW Golf that didn't have central locking hehe, I (d-)evolved beyond car use a long time ago. In comparison to my peers, I am 'younger', fitter, harder, stronger and that's the way I like it. I do realise that at some point, given where I live, I will be old enough that I won't be able to maintain my current lifestyle and an EV of sorts would be an excellent idea.

Wow... that first story does sound scary, thanks for sharing!!

And consider that at any moment they can be locked out of their cars, or even more scarily, locked in perhaps? by a simple phone app glitch

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59357306

You can't get locked in, there is a mechanical handle to use in an emergency.

The app entry is only for convenience, there is a proximity card that can be used for entry and starting/driving the car, you'd be really stupid to leave the house without it and only rely on your phone not being lost or have a flat battery.

To be fair to Musk. I followed him on Twitter and within an hour of someone tagging him about the issue he was onto his team and getting it fixed.

New homes and buildings in England will be required by law to install electric vehicle charging points from next year, the prime minister is set to announce.
The government said the move will see up to 145,000 charging points installed across the country each year.
New-build supermarkets, workplaces and buildings undergoing major renovations will also come under the new law.
The move comes as the UK aims to switch to electric cars, with new petrol and diesel cars sales banned from 2030.
Announcing the new laws at the Confederation of British Industry's conference on Monday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson will say: "This is a pivotal moment - we cannot go on as we are.
"We have to adapt our economy to the green industrial revolution."
But Labour said the announcement does not address the "appalling" geographical divide in available charging points.
"London and the South East have more public car charging points than the rest of England and Wales combined. Yet there is nothing here to help address this.
"Nor is there help so lower and middle income families can afford electric vehicles or the investment required to build the gigafactories we need," Labour said.
The government said the new laws will "make it as easy as refuelling a petrol or diesel car today".
It said "simpler ways to pay" to charge vehicles through contactless payments would also be introduced at "all new fast and rapid charge points".

Britain currently has about 25,000 charging points, but the Competition and Markets Authority has said it could need 10 times as many before 2030.
The switch to electric vehicles is part of the UK's strategy to hit climate targets, with cars and taxis accounting for 16% of UK emissions in 2019.
Several major car manufacturers, such as Jaguar and Volvo plan to go all electric from 2025 and 2030 and Ford has said all vehicles sold in Europe will be electric by 2030.
However, four of the world's biggest carmakers, Volkswagen, Toyota, Renault-Nissan and Hyundai-Kia failed to sign a COP 26 summit pledge to only sell zero emissions cars and vans by 2035.
UK electric car sales are growing, with about 10% of cars sold in 2020 being electric, up from 2.5% in 2018.

1637594105337.png

However, concerns have been raised about the lack of charging infrastructure. The Policy Exchange think tank has warned the rollout of charging points has fallen behind and said there is a risk of "charging blackspots" in small towns and rural areas unless it speeds up.
MPs on the Transport Select Committee have also said people must be protected from excessive pricing for public electric car charging, with home charging being much cheaper.
Mike Childs, Friends of the Earth's head of policy, welcomed the government's announcement, adding that electric vehicles had a "significant role to play in building a zero-carbon future".
"New housing should also include secure cycle storage and access to high quality public transport, to provide real alternatives to driving and help cut congestion," Mr Childs added.
Along with its announcement on charging points, the government also confirmed almost £10m will fund a new hydrogen project at the UK's largest onshore windfarm near Glasgow.
The cash injection will help the Whitelee green hydrogen project develop the UK's largest electrolyser, a system which converts water into hydrogen gas as a way to store energy and supply local transport providers with zero-carbon fuel.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59369715

I can see sales of solar panels increasing for those lucky enough to have off street parking so eventually travel will be free and again the poor old terraced house owner will pay a much higher prices to travel by car.
You’ll have to go some to travel free on Solar. I have an average sized 3.2kw solar array which can generate 2.5kwh at midday on a sunny day at the peak of summer but I’ll probably be using half of that most of the time so with 1kwh spare, at best, it would take a long time to charge an EV

You’ll have to go some to travel free on Solar. I have an average sized 3.2kw solar array which can generate 2.5kwh at midday on a sunny day at the peak of summer but I’ll probably be using half of that most of the time so with 1kwh spare, at best, it would take a long time to charge an EV

As most EV owners will charge at night they will need a battery -

Last edited:
Ah, when I had my PV array installed in 2011 the batteries would fill a garage!

Even if we had solar panels and a battery we still couldn't use them to charge an EV as we live in a terraced street so we have no guarantee of parking outside of the house.

This could be a solution to home charging in a terrace but again you have the problem of parking near your house.

1637603010778.png

1637603029121.png

Even if we had solar panels and a battery we still couldn't use them to charge an EV as we live in a terraced street so we have no guarantee of parking outside of the house.

This could be a solution to home charging in a terrace but again you have the problem of parking near your house.

View attachment 58078

View attachment 58079
Contactless charging.

Regarding Chippys point about parking.
When the council tried to replace the granate kerbstones in my street with cheap precast concrete i checked the deeds,
I found that i owned the land and the roads front and back to 1/2way across the road, And all the mineral rights down to the centre of the earth,Except coal.

So armed I marched into the council office and presented my evidence,And had it stopped.
Mine was an old property (1873) Modern deeds are no doubt less generios
Still worth cheking though.

Back