Ban on new petrol and diesel cars in UK from 2030 under PM's green plan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similar thing at the time going on with roofing, Contractors offering FREE new composite tile roofs as long as they can have the origional slate.
If there is money to be made someone will take advantage
That is the point I was trying to make,Not to take this thread off track.

When I look at the existing traffic on the roads,I do think where is all this electric to come from.
I am in favour of electric cars.

Before all this started the grid was reporting they are at capacity in a cold spell.
Its going to take a lot of investment and wont be cheap
I see no real investment,And has been pointed out before who will pay to have cables laid in every home.
Fine for newbuilds but for existing propertys it might be an issue.

Have parking spaces with pads in the tarmac, a scanner to record credit card details

I am not sure if we have our wires crossed (no pun intended)
The problem for me and i think the stats say 50% of the driving population is we don't have off street parking and cannot guarantee we can park outside our homes meaning we cannot charge using the cables provided with the car, to use wireless charging would mean every house would need a pad in the road outside, is this what you are suggesting?

I have a feeling our streets will start to look like this over the next few years the down side is those that cannot plug in at home will pay the most which isn't fair.

1637676791427.png

I am not sure if we have our wires crossed (no pun intended)
The problem for me and i think the stats say 50% of the driving population is we don't have off street parking and cannot guarantee we can park outside our homes meaning we cannot charge using the cables provided with the car, to use wireless charging would mean every house would need a pad in the road outside, is this what you are suggesting?
50% that is high. Not much terrace housing where I live but ones I see tend to have rear garage, space to park.

I didn't mean parking outside your house. The pads will be for anyone to use with a panel on the road to scan your payment card.

I didn't mean parking outside your house. The pads will be for anyone to use with a panel on the road to scan your payment card.

I did think that is what you meant but wanted to check.

That is going to put people who have no option other than to use street charging points off buying an EV as they are going to have to pay a premium to charge it and i believe there isn't much of a saving when you compare running an EV on street charging points only with a small engine turbo petrol car and with the car you don't have range anxiety and the worry the charging point is broken or in use when you get to it.

I did think that is what you meant but wanted to check.

That is going to put people who have no option other than to use street charging points off buying an EV as they are going to have to pay a premium to charge it and i believe there isn't much of a saving when you compare running an EV on street charging points only with a small engine turbo petrol car and with the car you don't have range anxiety and the worry the charging point is broken or in use when you get to it.
They won't have an option in the future, but no doubt current charging options will be outdated

It's going to be interesting to see how they solve the problem and with luck I will still be here to see it.

Why are they blocking off the pavement rather than the road?

I wouldn't call it blocking off as long as there is room to get a push chair or wheelchair past, i assume the gap between post and road is for safety reasons lampposts are usually placed the same distance from the carriageway.

1638212200327.png

1638212396267.png

I wouldn't call it blocking off as long as there is room to get a push chair or wheelchair past, i assume the gap between post and road is for safety reasons lampposts are usually placed the same distance from the carriageway.

View attachment 58459

View attachment 58460
Yes, but it's always the pedestrian that loses out despite the fact that these additions are for the benefit of the motorist.

Yes, but it's always the pedestrian that loses out despite the fact that these additions are for the benefit of the motorist.

I don't know what the set up is like in Italy where you live but in the U.K street lights have always been on the pavement next to the road no one complains because their position on the pavement is not an issue and neither will it be when chargers are placed in the same position, believe me pedestrians don't lose out it really isn't an issue.

I don't know what the set up is like in Italy where you live but in the U.K street lights have always been on the pavement next to the road no one complains because their position on the pavement is not an issue and neither will it be when chargers are placed in the same position, believe me pedestrians don't lose out it really isn't an issue.
It's much worse here. However, the motorist seems to gain space by gradual encroachment but screams when cycle lanes take up room on the road even though cyclists free up parking spaces in city centres, a major factor in shortening the travel time for many motorists.

If you cannot guarantee you can park outside your house (which i assume covers most of us with no off street parking) there is little point installing one of these chargers, i can see them being the way forward for companies that can supply the electricity to them then charge you for using them but again the EV owner who cannot plug into their own supply loses out.

The only other way round it would be for the government to allow EV owners to have parking bays marked outside of their houses which only they could park in guaranteeing they can charge overnight imagine the **** storm that would cause.

Brent and Oxfordshire trialling "doorstep" chargers for people parking at the kerbside outside their house. Not a solution for everybody, but helps another chunk of the population.

This is a bit confusing in the video in your post they connection to peoples home supply (hence my comment about not being able to park outside your own house) but in the videos below they are showing a similar connection but they are powering it themselves, i suppose as long as the price they charge is well below the equivalent petrol/diesel price it could work for us all, those with off street parking that can plug into their own supply will get the cheapest running costs but those of us who cannot will still make a good saving on the price of petrol/diesel fueled cars.

Latest posts

Back