Ban on new petrol and diesel cars in UK from 2030 under PM's green plan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I notice that parking on the pavement is allowed in England. Time was that one could walk along the pavement two abreast, now one has to step out into the road to get past.
Cars have got fatter (and heavier). Why has this been allowed to happen?

Why has this been allowed to happen?

Parking on the pavement as far as i know was never not allowed, IIRC two wheels have to be on the road and you are not allowed to block the pavement so in theory one shouldn't have to step into the road to get past the car.

Unfortunately you get morons who totally ignore that and park selfishly and as traffic wardens are as rare as rocking horse s**t they never get fined.

This explains it -

Is parking on the pavement illegal?

Unless you live in London, there is currently no explicit law that bans it, and different civil and criminal laws cover pavement parking in different parts of the country.

Depending on the width of the pavement, it can be considered rather antisocial behaviour. It can cause inconvenience or even danger to pedestrians, especially parents with pushchairs, the blind or wheelchair users, sometimes forcing them to move into the road to get past. The police can charge you with ‘unnecessary obstruction of the highway’ because this offence covers all parts of the street.

If you park in Greater London, then there is a specific rule in the Highway Code that states “You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London”. Any Highway Code rule that uses the terms MUST or MUST NOT is a law, rather than guidance.

The exception is where a traffic regulation order (TRO) has been established, which can set rules about parking times and restrictions, with clearly painted bays that straddle the road and pavement.

There are more plans on the way that will likely ban pavement parking outside of London in the future.

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic/advice/illegal-park-on-pavement-uk/

Parking on the pavement as far as i know was never not allowed, IIRC two wheels have to be on the road and you are not allowed to block the pavement so in theory one shouldn't have to step into the road to get past the car.

Unfortunately you get morons who totally ignore that and park selfishly and as traffic wardens are as rare as rocking horse s**t they never get fined.
I don't remember two wheels on the pavement as allowed. What's more cars are wider and have a little more overhang and wider tyres taking up more room on a pavement. Pavements are for pedestrians.

We X posted -

This explains it

Is parking on the pavement illegal?

Unless you live in London, there is currently no explicit law that bans it, and different civil and criminal laws cover pavement parking in different parts of the country.

Depending on the width of the pavement, it can be considered rather antisocial behaviour. It can cause inconvenience or even danger to pedestrians, especially parents with pushchairs, the blind or wheelchair users, sometimes forcing them to move into the road to get past. The police can charge you with ‘unnecessary obstruction of the highway’ because this offence covers all parts of the street.

If you park in Greater London, then there is a specific rule in the Highway Code that states “You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London”. Any Highway Code rule that uses the terms MUST or MUST NOT is a law, rather than guidance.

The exception is where a traffic regulation order (TRO) has been established, which can set rules about parking times and restrictions, with clearly painted bays that straddle the road and pavement.

There are more plans on the way that will likely ban pavement parking outside of London in the future.

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic/advice/illegal-park-on-pavement-uk/

I don't remember two wheels on the pavement as allowed. What's more cars are wider and have a little more overhang and wider tyres taking up more room on a pavement. Pavements are for pedestrians.

Some cars may be wider but most are not and if you leave a gap wide enough for the pushchair or wheelchair all that will happen is there will be a bit more of the car in the road.

I live in a terraced street one side parks against the kerb the other half part on the pavement (leaving a sensible gap) if we didn't park this way emergency vehicles would not be able to get down the street, the bottom line is there are too many cars on the roads and when our houses were built car parking was not taken into consideration it has now become a huge problem.

If you plan to keep your petrol/diesel car past then you should start stockpiling spare parts you might need once they stop making petrol/diesel cars.

After a recent trip to Britain I noticed that the cars were to big to even enter the garage.

Some may be bigger but as i said earlier -

Some cars may be wider but most are not and if you leave a gap wide enough for the pushchair or wheelchair all that will happen is there will be a bit more of the car in the road.

If you plan to keep your petrol/diesel car past then you should start stockpiling spare parts you might need once they stop making petrol/diesel cars.

When news spares become scarce there will always be the breakers yards, i can see them becoming little gold mines.

Yes parking on the pavement is fineable in London.

I used to drive a transit size van, and parked in an unrestricted area of London in a narrow street at around 23:30. To make it easier for traffic to pass I put two wheels on the pavement, as I would “up north”.

On return to my vehicle the next day at 05:45 I had been given a £80 ticket at around 01:15 by a passing traffic warden. The ba$tard$ work night shift!

Charging a prototype electric AMC Gremlin at a curb side charging station. 1hr for 25¢. Seattle, 1973.
It retailed at $3,500 and the marketing included the slogan, “If you can afford a car, you can afford two Gremlins.”
It looked promising on the surface: Twenty-four rechargeable six-volt batteries could go 50 miles at a top speed of 50 miles per hour per charge.
Also on the surface: It was ugly. And apparently wasn’t a very good drive.
The car didn’t last long.

1640204878858.png

Latest posts

Back