Bar (Kegs) in a car boot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashman

Reaction score
Apologies if this was you but I went to a fete yesterday and there was a chap who was selling pints pulled from the boot of a converted glitzy 4x4 type vehicle.

The kegs were I think stamped Shepherd Neame - I think commercial type. The only problem was he was pulling pint after pint that was 50% head, 50% beer and having to decant each one. So it appeared Each pint took maybe 5mins to pour with all the faffing about. He played around with I think the regulators, saw him reconnect the keg but when I went back an hour later he was still getting pints with 50% foam head! The setup actually looked pretty decent but application less so. I’ve seen mobile bars but can a keg in a car boot actually work?

Even before you consider whether it would work, you need to consider this :

https://www.kegwatch.co.uk

Each year the brewing industry loses many millions of pounds through the theft and misappropriation of kegs, casks (containers) and dispense gas cylinders. Keg Watch is the organisation committed to reducing these losses.

Then there's the illegality of selling beer without the correct licenses

Its quite likely he is selling Shepard neame beer from a keg he bought totally legitimately. As for can you I assume you mean without the excessive head, then the answer is yes. There was a food and wine festival in Edenbridge recently and a guy was selling 5 keg beers from taps on the side of a landrover and they poured fine. I think it had the back of it refrigerated to keep the beer at a cool and constant temp. which was how it worked well. It may have been he had to wait for the keg to settle for a while after being shaken up on the journey I don't know. I imagine the next best more basic way to do it would be to have the keg slightly over chilled and well insulated but have never tried it to confirm. If the area does not have an alcohol license you would need a temporary event notice which I think is fairly straight forward to get.

We (legally) sell beer from a well-known local brewery at our local fete. It's dispensed from Polypins bought direct from the brewery that are left to settle overnight before the event. Much easier than messing about with kegs and gas when you're at a temporary site.

Then there's the illegality of selling beer without the correct licenses

Spot on, It might have been legit but as he is pulling 50/50 pints out of a car boot it sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Latest posts

Back