Bargain Website

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've looked, and yes they do- with cider bottle stoppers. But I might get in touch to see if they do the cages alone. Thanks for the lead.
acheers.
FWIW, Young's used to do them separately, (stoppers and cages), but now only sell them in combined packs...

FWIW, Young's used to do them separately, (stoppers and cages), but now only sell them in combined packs...
Thanks.
It's a pain: Malt Miller do cages for plastic stoppers in packs with corks and Brewathome do cages for corks in packs with plastic stoppers! I guess they're not used much in the UK. In fact the corks can be used over and over again as they're not drawn with a corkscrew, but the wire twist on the cages breaks after a couple of uses.

Salut @An Ankoù! You can buy swing tops and metal collars to fit them from Get ‘er Brewed. I’ve fitted these sucessfully to various Belgian 75cl bottles including Saison Dupont and Leffe as well as Champagne bottles. Some of the bottles look as though they should also take a 29mm crown cork but I haven’t tried that.

Salut @An Ankoù! You can buy swing tops and metal collars to fit them from Get ‘er Brewed. I’ve fitted these sucessfully to various Belgian 75cl bottles including Saison Dupont and Leffe as well as Champagne bottles. Some of the bottles look as though they should also take a 29mm crown cork but I haven’t tried that.
Thanks @Wynne. I get my swing tops and collars from Espace Emeraude. They're not cheap, but it's so easy to uncork a bottle of Goudale or Trois Monts or similar and clip a swing top on to keep the rest fresh. But as I like to make some of the stronger historic recipes, which need a maturation time of up to a year, I prefer to use a cork for those. The corks I pull out of the Goudale etc bottles are perfectly servicable, but now I've got about three times as many corks as cages. I but cages from the likes of Brouwland and their not ridiculously priced until you factor in the delivery costs. Not to worry, I've still got plenty to be going on with until I find a friendly cider maker, who'll sell me some of his.
Yes, Champagne and similar bottles do take a 29 mm crown cap. I'm no authority on the methode champenoise, but I understand the champagne is sealed in its bottle under a crown cork to condition and is kept upside down until the cap is taken off to disgorge the sediment and a proper cork fitted. I saw this being done at Gospel Green Cider in the UK decades ago. Don't know if they still do this.

Thanks CT - this is the website. Insulted that people think I'm that sort of person. Might just pack the forums in. Had enough :(

https://brewathome.shop/
I couldn't believe it - £9.60 for 15 bottles! I was paying about £20 for 12 bottles at the shop I normally go to which is called the-home-brew-shop or something. HBO charge about £15 for 12 so this one I've found is way cheaper.

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't come across this place before.

Also wanted to mention they sell single 500ml dark coloured beer bottles (glass) for 60p each. Bought my husband a load for his beer. He was buying bottles of beer from Aldi because it's cheaper to buy the bottles with beer in normally, but not from this place! 😊

The wine bottles are Young's brand so they're not ****.

I am really enthusiastic when I find something worth sharing. Glad it's helped some people.

Trying to find a Young's supplier has been problematic. I was asked to make a clone of Funky Money by Milkstreet, who say they use "something like" Young's yeast. I managed to find a supplier in Bath, but they won't post to France. i'm hoping Brewathome might be a bit more sympathetic.
If anyone knows of another supplier, it's Young's Ale Yeast that I'm looking for. It's not a bad yeast at all and a proper top-cropper.

I'll give these fella's a thumbs up.

I ordered a sack of MO on Monday and they dropped it off today on their way back from some deliveries nearby. Their primary trade is brewing and pub supplies but they've set the website up to diversify a bit.

Very nice chat over the garden gate with the chap who definately seemed to know his onions...and his imperial stouts for that matter :)

Nice find LisaMC!

I'll give these fella's a thumbs up.

I ordered a sack of MO on Monday and they dropped it off today on their way back from some deliveries nearby. Their primary trade is brewing and pub supplies but they've set the website up to diversify a bit.

Very nice chat over the garden gate with the chap who definately seemed to know his onions...and his imperial stouts for that matter :)

Nice find LisaMC!

Aw thanks mate! I thought so yeah. I was so pleased with their customer service not to mention the great prices! Can’t knock them at all!! I’m a fan! 😁

I thought it was hilarious that my driver came in a white jag... I thought who is this walking up my drive?! Then I saw the bottles! 😂

Last edited:
Aw thanks mate! I thought so yeah. I was so pleased with their customer service not to mention the great prices! Can’t knock them at all!! I’m a fan! 😁

I thought it was hilarious that my driver came in a white jag... I thought who is this walking up my drive?! Then I saw the bottles! 😂

I got a little white van...I feel cheated now :)

Latest posts

Back