barrel help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo1982

Reaction score
I have just barrelled some bitter and noticed this morning that there is a leak around the tap. Its not where the tap meets the barrel but where the tap itself slits in (if you know what I mean. I did put Vaseline around all the joints so don't know what to do. If I pop the tap out it will leak everywhere. Can I lie it flat and pop the tap off to try and seal it again? Really worried that this batch might get ruined if I cant fix it quick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

Yes, lie the barrel over on it's back and theres just gas behind the tap.
My barrels tend to leak the odd drip from the tap as pressure builds up but it usually stops after a bit. I just put something under it to catch the drips. If it was dripping a lot I'd have to do something about it though.

It has been dripping quite a bit but not gushing out. Will see what its like when I get home and if no better I will try lying it down and re fitting the tap.

Depending on how well carbonated your beer is it might be a idea to loosen the lid to release some pressure before you remove the tap. I had to do precisely this procedure a couple of weeks ago to replace a faulty tap and I may have been over cautious but I had visions of getting an eyeful of beer fountain when I took the tap off.

I only barrelled it last night with 80g priming sugar so not expecting it to be under tremendous pressure just yet. If I do this is it wise to top up with co2 once I've finished?

Well I've just laid it on it's back and opened the tap. I was surprised how much gas came out. Smeared more Vaseline around the o ring in the tap and put it back. It's not dripping now but will the pressure build up again or should I top up through the valve?

This is where the leak is. It's started again but not as bad

image.jpg

I get the same with mine, I find there is a very fine line between leaking and flat beer and am yet to find the sweet spot but I am sure its there.

Hi there,
I had that barrel a few years ago and I used to bottle from it - using the little bottler - so yes it should fit so long as the design etc hadn't changed.
Hope this helps

Is It safe to change while it's fill of beer? Got the missus to give a hand holding the barrel flat so don't need to worry about that but is it worth risking it and ruining the beer?

Well I found the problem. One of the little o rings on the spiggot was split. I've swapped it out for the little bottler tap so will see how that works but looking good.

Well it's dripping again. Not as bad but it's still not right. Going to have to see where I can get I rings from to fix the original tap.

Don't put any more sugar in! There'll still be plenty in there to build up gas. Worst that will happen will be that you run out of pressure half way down the barrel. And that'll be the time to whip the cap off and re-prime it. That's what I usually have to do with pressure barrels (I've got a couple of Young's). Yours look the same as mine with that silly red cap that's meant to go over the tap, but just gets in the way all the time. My barrels (both of them) let out occasional drips as pressure builds up but it eases off at high pressure. After priming I put mine in the airing cupboard to gas up but sit them in an old roasting tray in case there's a leak.

Thanks for the roasting tray tip will give that a go. I've swapped the tap for the little bottler tap but managed to get some O rings from wilko so should be able to fix the original tap.

Thanks for the roasting tray tip will give that a go. I've swapped the tap for the little bottler tap but managed to get some O rings from wilko so should be able to fix the original tap.

jimbo, do you close the valve all the way? if so, that might be your problem, try leaving at 3 o`clock if you see what I mean

jimbo, do you close the valve all the way? if so, that might be your problem, try leaving at 3 o`clock if you see what I mean

Already tried that mate and made no difference. Will give it another try but don't think it will work.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this dripping is still going on. Can I swap the tap back without damaging the beer? I can top up with co2 once I'm done. Had it in the warm for a week now so will be looking to put in the cold for while and want the tap sorted before I do.

Back