Barrel testing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steeley

Reaction score
Just going to check the pressure on one of my King Kegs, I think I have a leak, I haven’t done this before, but I thought I would fill the keg up to the tap(top tap) with water, fit the top cap tighten and the pressurise with small cartridge and then use a spray bottle to check for any leaks, has anybody done this, this way, or do you have any better ideas to check the barrel for leaks, thanks guys

thanks for that, I have noticed that it’s all around the top valve, I have pulled all the rubbers off and cleaned the valve, but I am still getting a leak, so I think I will buy a new pin valve, but thanks at least I know I am checking it correctly

Fair point, thanks for that, I will obviously need an adapter, but it will be cheaper

Hi Steeley
I had loads of trouble with the S30 pin valve not holding pressure. i fitted a Schrader bike Valve on the lid (so as to add and remove pressure with a bike stirrup pump first. I took the S30 Pin Valve off the lid removed the outer ring with the hole in ,and got a bit of Old bike innertube cut a length off about 2.5 3 inch's long and made it just wider than the Rubber thats over the hole on the valve then i put the S30 valve back in the lid and wrapped the strip of bike innertube around the rubber stretching it tight as it goes around the valve, then placed the outer ring with the hole in over the innertube strip (its a bit tight)so there is no gap on the inside of the outer ring, put the locking nut back on ,put the lid back on the king Keg stick some water in fit the lid tight then put some air in with the bike pump to about 10psi then using soapy water check for air leaks If you find a leak just check your nuts and seals and tighten according. i done this and works a treat. you can buy a new lid from Ballihoo with the Schrader valve already fitted if you want. no need to buy new rubbers

adoo buddy
Yes your right I monitor the pressure with a tyre pressure gauge if its to high I just take some pressure out with the Schrader Valve I like my pressure around 8-10 psi. You can get the Schrader Valves off fleabay for a couple of quid each there are also some vids on YOUTUBE like this one.
Hope this Helps regards

Hi Steeley
I had loads of trouble with the S30 pin valve not holding pressure. i fitted a Schrader bike Valve on the lid (so as to add and remove pressure with a bike stirrup pump first. I took the S30 Pin Valve off the lid removed the outer ring with the hole in ,and got a bit of Old bike innertube cut a length off about 2.5 3 inch's long and made it just wider than the Rubber thats over the hole on the valve then i put the S30 valve back in the lid and wrapped the strip of bike innertube around the rubber stretching it tight as it goes around the valve, then placed the outer ring with the hole in over the innertube strip (its a bit tight)so there is no gap on the inside of the outer ring, put the locking nut back on ,put the lid back on the king Keg stick some water in fit the lid tight then put some air in with the bike pump to about 10psi then using soapy water check for air leaks If you find a leak just check your nuts and seals and tighten according. i done this and works a treat. you can buy a new lid from Ballihoo with the Schrader valve already fitted if you want. no need to buy new rubbers

Thanks for that, that was very interesting, I might just try that, I feel it just might work for me

I fit Schrader valve's to all my kegs, but I've never blanked off the pressure relief valve. I put a doubled over length of insulation tape round the valve before I put the rubber band on. Depending on the length of the tape, your causing the band to press harder on the relief valve outlet hole. With a bit of messing about you can get can get them to pass at whatever pressure you want. Mine blow off between 12-15 psi.

I drilled another hole and fitted a gas corny post. Then I can either clip pressure gauge on or put a spunding valve on for real control. I'm still using the old PB gas post to fill with CO2 until I finish the hambledon bard cylinder and sodastream cylinder.

Don't be surprised if you see a pressure drop at an interval after pressuring up and checking with the gauge. The high pressure gas (esp CO2 ) will get absorbed into the water.

Back