BASE FOR MILK STOUT

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Crin

Reaction score
I'm just looking to do a milk stout next but am wondering if there's any particular kit that's better suited to the addition of lactose? I've done a coopers original which I think would work well and a St Peter's stout so was thinking of doing the Coopers Irish with lactose. any thoughts appreciated.

Crin

Reaction score
Just take any Dry Irish stout you like and add 5% lactose. That's what I did to my house dry stout and it worked well
So I've managed to get both coopers original and Irish stout. Would the Irish be best?

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
When I was doing kits I did the original stout but not the irish stout. Having said that I'd use the irish stout.

Btw Coopers kits are around 1.040 OG so you'll need to add 230g-250g Lactose for around 5%

Crin

Reaction score
When I was doing kits I did the original stout but not the irish stout. Having said that I'd use the irish stout.

Btw Coopers kits are around 1.040 OG so you'll need to add 230g-250g Lactose for around 5%
I've decided to do a test of both kits, head to head. I'll do them exactly the same and see which is better. the plan is:

Coopers can,
4x espresso shots,
500g brew enhancer,
500g dextrose,
250g Extra dark DME
250g lactose

how does that sound?

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
If your doing more than a kilo fermentables as per your recipe, this will lower the percentage of lactose. So I'd up it a bit to 300g

Crin

Reaction score
unfortunately I only have 500g so I can either do one at 3-500 or two at 250. Think I'll try 250 just to get a baseline for the two kits.

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
...fit a blow off tube. The Cooper's stout can get a little bit over excited.