BASE FOR MILK STOUT

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crin

Reaction score
I'm just looking to do a milk stout next but am wondering if there's any particular kit that's better suited to the addition of lactose? I've done a coopers original which I think would work well and a St Peter's stout so was thinking of doing the Coopers Irish with lactose. any thoughts appreciated.

Just take any Dry Irish stout you like and add 5% lactose. That's what I did to my house dry stout and it worked well

So I've managed to get both coopers original and Irish stout. Would the Irish be best?

When I was doing kits I did the original stout but not the irish stout. Having said that I'd use the irish stout.

Btw Coopers kits are around 1.040 OG so you'll need to add 230g-250g Lactose for around 5%

When I was doing kits I did the original stout but not the irish stout. Having said that I'd use the irish stout.

Btw Coopers kits are around 1.040 OG so you'll need to add 230g-250g Lactose for around 5%

I've decided to do a test of both kits, head to head. I'll do them exactly the same and see which is better. the plan is:

Coopers can,
4x espresso shots,
500g brew enhancer,
500g dextrose,
250g Extra dark DME
250g lactose

how does that sound?

unfortunately I only have 500g so I can either do one at 3-500 or two at 250. Think I'll try 250 just to get a baseline for the two kits.

Just an update on the espresso and lactose. I wouldn't do it again in either one. The other thing I now know is that, controversially, I prefer the Original stout to the Irish.

Just preferred it without. It's OK but feel the ballance is off. I'll stick with St Peters

Just an update on the espresso and lactose. I wouldn't do it again in either one. The other thing I now know is that, controversially, I prefer the Original stout to the Irish.
When I made sweet stout I added cocoa nibs as well as lactose and coffee and it turned out as very nice.

I was thinking of putting one on today. I have a coopers irish stout, 1kg dark dme and 250-300 gr lactose. Planning to use mangrove jacks empire ale yeast m15. Thinking of brewing to 20l. I also have some brewing sugar but dont want the abv too high. Does this sound OK?

Latest posts

Back