Base grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braindead

Landlord.
Reaction score
I usually go with Golden Promise for the base in my NEIPA
But ordering from Geterbrewed this time and no GP.
Has anyone used Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner Malt.The Bohemian part worries me as its not just pilsner or is that no difference.
The other choices which I've never used are Ireks pilsner or Crisp Extra Pale Malt.
Any opinions guys.
I was looking for a low EBC like the Extra pale but never tried Crisp.
Also anyone know where I can get Chit Malt from

I have used behomian in a behomian pilsner. Got ireks pilsner in the garage to do a pilsner so can yell the differ3mce.

Used crisp pale and found it good

Likewise, I used Bohemian Pilsner in my GH Czech pils - it's fine except for some chill haze.

Interestingly, I noticed the other day in the GH book, in the list of malts near the start he says something like BP malt needs a mash rest at 50degC (I think because it's not fully modified). So that could be the reason for my chill haze (or it might not - it was only AG#7 after all!). But GH doesn't say anything like this about ordinary Pilsner malt or lager malt.

So for me, BP is fine, but I'd probably just go with normal pils or lager malt, or extra pale MO for example.

I started using the Ireks pilsner and munich in my lagers and found the flavours to be such an authentic match for the Bavarian/Austrian lagers I drink on holiday in summer that I've used them ever since and now even use the Ireks pale malt in my IPAs and their carapils equivalent in lagers.

For an NEIPA though with that huge hit of hops I would think you'd struggle to spot the difference between any of the extra pale or pilsner malts. Crisp are very good, I've used the clear choice pale and extra pale and have nothing to complain about. If it was me and I was just brewing the NEIPA style then I'd buy Crisp extra pale.

Bohemian denotes it is from the Czech Republic rather than Germany. It's kilned marginally darker, than its German counterpart, so would be more suitable for ales.

Crisp extra pale it is.
I'm throwing 17g a litre dry hops at it so as you say they will dominate

Latest posts

Back