Base IPA Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a few all grain brews under my belt now and confidence is beginning to grow. I've been using all grain kits so far, but I'm eager to experiment a little on my own now. My fave ales are IPAs with a decent hop kick and I'm wanting to have a go at trying a few hop combos. I'd like a good, reliable base IPA recipe from which to start. Ideally, I'm looking to hit 4.5% to 5% ABV and I BIAB and bottle condition. I know there are plenty of recipes out there, but I'd rather go with a recommendation from one of you. Anyone got any thoughts?

4kg Maris Otter, 350g caramalt should get you in your range and give you a bit of colour. Bitter with Magnum or summat else cheap and hop away with your late addition, whirlpool and dry hops.

I've done this a couple of times..it's a founders all day IPA clone but I subbed the hops...
4kg pale
227g crystal,I used 140
181g each of wheat,oats and flaked maize
I bittered with Apollo 15g @ 60
Then falconer's Flight ..
15g @ 10
28g @ 80 *c
57g dry hop
CML American ale yeast
Approx 49 IBU
I've just done the same malt bill but subbed with Amarillo
Another good one..a user upper...
4kg pale
400g carapils
280g crystal
200g torrefied wheat
200g oats
Columbus 15g @ 60
Columbus,centennial,cascade...15g each at 10,repeat @ 80 degrees
Dry hop
Columbus 44g
Centennial 38g
Cascade 20g
CML AMERICAN

According to my notes both came in around 5%,both were 23 litre. The second one,as said,a user upper,came out really good. The first with FF could easily double the dry hop. I get on ok with the CML yeast but you could use what you prefer.

Back