Base malt preference

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertrap

Reaction score
I like using UK malts for many of my beers.

For base malt, currently, Simpson marris otter is my go to for RIS,Burton Ale and others.

Do you brewers have other preferred UK base malts for UK type brews?

My three main base malts are Golden Promise, Maris Otter and Mild Ale Malt, the latter two from Warminster.

For pale ales, golden ale and bitters, I tend to use 50/50 Golden Promise and Maris Otter.
Mild or brown ale - Mild Ale Malt.
Stouts and p0rters - 50/50 Golden Promise and Mild Ale Malt

I also use Lager malt with golden promise in a couple of pale ales and a blonde ale.

Crisp Clear Choice (fromGeterbrewed). Does exactly what it says on the tin :)
This for me too, although I’m currently working my way through a 25kg bag of propino which has worked very well in an English Pale

Been using extra pale propino lately. I like its versatility. Used successfully for a range of beers from pseudo lager to stout.

Love this, and have used two sacks of it. As above the extra pale gives great versatility. Unfortunately, Propino appears to be being replaced by Planet Malt. Muntons say this has the same flavour and performance as Propino.

Occasionally use MO or Chevallier is in brewing something traditional or heritage.

When I was going to try propino a while back MM was out of stock and wasn't sure when they would restock,the reason being was uneven grain size giving uneven crush..

Last sack of malt I bought was Hook Head (Wexford) malt from Ireland. I guess this is local for me as I can actually see Wexford from the summit of the hill behind our house.

Crisp MO for me although will use their pilsner malt if I'm doing a Saison.

Pains me a bit that I have to buy it through Malt Miller & the like seeing as it grows in the fields around me but until I get a mill, I'm stuck buying small batches of crushed grain.

All my brews were either Golden Promise, UK lager or MO as that is what Morley Home Brew stock and they are convenient for work. However, I have recently brought a large order from the home brew company, so have 10kg of hook head pale ale and 10kg of hook head pilsner / lager malt to play with.

Started off using small bags of Maris Otter, then got a cheap 25 kg sack of GEB Irish Pale Malt, now I'm on a 25 kg sack of Simpsons Golden Promise.

MO from Warminster is my top choice for most of my beers (except for golden promise when I brew TT Landlord and other Yorkshire beers). I like it because it is perfectly balanced, not too sweet yet it imparts a warming maltyness (is that a word?).

Back