Base Malts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjas

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have always used Maris otter for my base malt, and now I'm looking to experiment a bit with my ingredients. I have been looking at the other base malts and I stumbled across this malt - Crisp Clear Choice Ale Malt. https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=508

Has anyone else used this before. They seem to claim that it will give a clearer, haze free beer. Some more info here http://www.siba.co.uk/2013/11/25/clear-choice-for-craft-brewers/

I'm not sure what other malt to try, Golden Promise maybe? Will a different base malt make that much difference? Or am I better off playing with darker malts in small quantities? What do you guys use as your base malts?

Jas

I have not found there to be any significant difference in any base malts, if you get it crushed the crush can vary but it varies between batch as much as brand.

There's a difference between Pilsner/lager, pale, Munich, Vienna and mild, but the pale malts are all much of a muchness. There is probably a brulosophy xBmt showing MO and American 2-row to be indistinguishable.

Sorry should have been clearer I mean't little difference between pale ale malts/maris otter/golden promise etc there is more than a subtle difference between lager, munich, vienna etc also small quantities of crystal/darker malts will make alot more difference.

Have you tried dingemans pale? Lovely bready taste on that. I love weyermann Munich 1 too.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I find pale malts all the same. The Irish pale malt from geterbrewed is excellent value and my efficiency jumped up when using their grain.

Danged if I can spot any meaningful difference between them, and I've tried a fair few. Currently on Hook Head Irish stuff and it's as good as any... and a very cheap 18.95 a sack. Just get the cheapest it'll be reyt. I've had the Clear Choice stuff and it came out clear.... but then again my ale always does!

I've tried Minch pale ale malt,Irish Pale Ale malt from Geterbrewed and Maris Otter and to be honest have found nothing in real difference except that Maris Otter costs a few quid more.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Is there a particular type of base malt that is the most useful/adaptable for AG brewing? I've only made 2 brews so far - both from made up kits, but I'm looking to form my own recipes in future and was wondering what would be the best grain to buy first as to provide a good starting point.

There's a difference between Pilsner/lager, pale, Munich, Vienna and mild, but the pale malts are all much of a muchness. There is probably a brulosophy xBmt showing MO and American 2-row to be indistinguishable.

Actually their experiment showed there beers were different with strong certainty. However the author's impressions were that they were very close despite being different.

Is there a particular type of base malt that is the most useful/adaptable for AG brewing? I've only made 2 brews so far - both from made up kits, but I'm looking to form my own recipes in future and was wondering what would be the best grain to buy first as to provide a good starting point.

Just a basic Pale ( note, pale malt and pale ale malt are two different malts) malt will do you

Another thing to consider is that different marks will give different amounts of sugars, I think Maris gives more than a standard pale malt for example. worth considering when you're putting recipes together.

I've tried a few pale malts and found them to be much the same, even crushing my own vs buying crushed.

I just buy the cheapest I can from a reputable seller. Adding small amounts of speciality malts makes the biggest difference.

Latest posts

Back