Base recipe for 'Easy Rose' Supermarket Juice Wine WOW - 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only started the Rosé yesterday, SG 1.106, room temp is around 70c, I've since had another full airlock of foam when I got back from work earlier. My other WOWs are fine. Mrs Rock put the heating on last night, but the temps was only 75c at this point.

Are you sure about the temperature, my thermostat only goes as high as 30c.

Any other juice added other than a red grape and apple? Sugar content is a bit high perhaps and with 24c it would be a bit more active than at 19c.

Chewie, I brew all my WOWs the same, it's just the flavour that changes. 1Lt RGJ, 1 Lt AJ, 800g sugar dissolved in 1 Lt of still bottled water, 3 bag brew ( 1 mug) plus the usual.

Edited, what am I thinking Potassium Sorbate? Ha ha...I need a beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any other juice added other than a red grape and apple? Sugar content is a bit high perhaps and with 24c it would be a bit more active than at 19c.

How much sugar do you use normally? I've never had an issue before, I've just changed the airlock again. It's baffling me now! [emoji53]

How much sugar do you use normally? I've never had an issue before, I've just changed the airlock again. It's baffling me now! [emoji53]

I had the same problem with brews filling or blowing out airlocks. I found GV4 yeast helped as its high alcohol low foam so it doesn't fill up the whole headspace.

Hi guys normally i do beer from kits or help my brother out with all grain. Used to making TC aswell.

Looking to get some wine on,Tried a wilko cab sauv wasnt impressed. So looking to get a wow on probs try the rose as i like the sound of it so does her indoors.

Obviously experience tells me with homebrew in general patience is key.

But my question is how long before the juice wine is drinkable? For example if i got a gallon on now would it be ready for a shindig planned on nov 5th?

Hi guys normally i do beer from kits or help my brother out with all grain. Used to making TC aswell.

Looking to get some wine on,Tried a wilko cab sauv wasnt impressed. So looking to get a wow on probs try the rose as i like the sound of it so does her indoors.

Obviously experience tells me with homebrew in general patience is key.

But my question is how long before the juice wine is drinkable? For example if i got a gallon on now would it be ready for a shindig planned on Nov 5th?

Short answer ( from a total novice ) is yes ( and Mrs Tinto says yes too ). But - I suppose it also depends how fussy you are. My first ever attempt at this went into the dj on 19.9.16. I bottled, after fining, crystal clear on 5.10.16. We have drunk 2 of them. Yes it will get better I am sure and, I am a red wine drinker as opposed to rose etc , and I tend to like my white and rose sweeter than most as does the missus , but but but, at the time of drinking this was as good as any supermarket £5 a bottle stuff. She likes for example a blossom hill rose or similar from the shop that is 11% ish and a tad fruity. I love deep , full bodied reds but when it comes to white etc I am what most regard as a right 'girlie' because I do sweet - Black Tower, Blue Nun ( if you are old enough to remember ) , but hey, we cannot all be perfect!!!

Note, I think the topping up as suggested with aj rather than water was good for our taste.

But my question is how long before the juice wine is drinkable? For example if i got a gallon on now would it be ready for a shindig planned on Nov 5th?

I usually find even in winter that it only takes two weeks start to bottle and is drinkable, if you do not have a heat source you could wrap the DJ or FV in something to help keep it warm, i use a large beach towel folded over a few times on my FV held in place with clothes pegs and it definitely helps speed up fermentation.

Cheers guys il get one on and see how it comes out. :-) if its not ready for bonfire night i have plenty of beer in reserve.

Let it ferment until you only see one bubble every two minutes or if you have a hydrometer it is .995 or below, rack (syphon) it into another DJ onto a crushed campden tablet add stabiliser (fermentation stopper)

Just occurred to me Chippy., You rack onto a crushed campden tablet AND add stabiliser. Surely both are sodium metabisulphate? Well the Wilko ones are anyway although the stabiliser does mention potassium too.

I was wondering the same thing, after I looked at my lbhs stabiliser and realising it doesnt have the same ingredients as the wilkos. Maybe wilkos is a complete stopper but don't know what the proportions are in the wilkos to know if it's a full campden tablet worth in a dose?

Potassium sorbate will kill the fermentation process not metabisulphites. Campden tablets are used to prevent infection to your brew, they're not stabilisers. If you rely on Campden tablets to stabilise your wine. Boom! Bottle bombs.

The Young's fermentation stopper/stabiliser i use is porrasium sorbate.

Youngs Campden tablets are Sodium metabisulphate.

Potassium sorbate will kill the fermentation process not metabisulphites. Campden tablets are used to prevent infection to your brew, they're not stabilisers. If you rely on Campden tablets to stabilise your wine. Boom! Bottle bombs.

So does it follow that the wilko stabiliser is the best of both worlds as it contains sodium metabisulphate AND potassium Dienoate?

Edit - ah! Potassium (E,E)-hexa-2,4-dienoate ( on the label ) is the nerdo (clever) name for Potassium Sorbate.

Latest posts

Back