Base recipe for 'Easy Rose' Supermarket Juice Wine WOW - 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aha! Thanks guys - I'm hoping that the 8 DJs I've just put both Camden's and wilkos in before reading this thread will still be drinkable though? 😑

I added both to my last 3 demijohns. It will be drinkable. In future I will just add the wilkos wine stabiliser though.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

A little surprised by this but no doubt somebody can / will explain.

As can be seen by the original pic (posted 4.10.16) this was quite lively to start with. The 'head' then subsided to nothing. Flat as a pancake but there was loads of bubbles rising and it was blipping every couple of seconds. My surprise this morning was although still going well every three seconds it now has this foam reappeared on the surface. From being foamy, to completely flat (yet clearly active) to going frothy like this again ? What is causing this please?

Edit - strange - since posting all signs of any froth on the top completely disappeared over 20 mins. 5 mins later I look and it is all back again as quick as it disappeared. Think I may stand this in a bucket in case it decides to erupt! Shouldn't do 7 days in should it?

Update on the purple rose. Bottled it today. It was pretty clear after fining anyway but I had got the new filter out for a test run on a gallon of blackberry so put this through as well. Absolutely crystal clear and a BIG thumbs up from Mrs Tinto. This has more body and is a tad sweeter than my first rose effort and is very nice. This will not last too long so in screw top bottles. We will try and save at least one for a few months.

No problem.

As regulars here know Roddy has made more wine than most of us so i have aimed this guide at new members starting out and hope it is of some use, any questions don't hesitate to ask.

The recipe below is from the first post in the "Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzel's Orange Wine WOW" thread here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Since posting the thread in 2013 i have started to top up using half a litre of apple juice per DJ then adding water to the base of the neck as it gives it a little more taste without going over the top, i also no longer use Glycerine and acid but feel free to experiment and leave feedback in this thread.

I have a degassing wand so do not heat water to dissolve the sugar (video 1) i simply add the sugar and juice to cold tap water in the DJ then beat the hell out of it with the wand and all the sugar is dissolved, this saves a lot of time and cleaning up afterwards

If you do not have a wand put approximately 1 litre of boiling water in a pan add 800g of sugar and stir until dissolved then let this cool to around 40c before adding it to the DJ.

Pour the sugar/water mix into the DJ then add a litre of Red Grape Juice or White Grape Juice and a litre of apple juice, add tannin (see below) and top up with either hot or cold water to the shoulder of the DJ to bring the temperature to between 20c and 30c.

Put in the rest of the ingredients in the recipe below and give it a gentle stir then put the airlock on.

Let it ferment until you only see one bubble every two minutes or if you have a hydrometer it is .995 or below, rack (syphon) it into another DJ onto a crushed campden tablet add stabiliser (fermentation stopper) degas by either using a wand as mentioned earlier or by covering the neck with a clean hand and shaking the DJ for a few seconds before releasing your hand and letting the CO2 escape, do this several times until you do not hear the CO2 escaping.

If you want to drink your wine in days/weeks rather than months/years use finings, the best i have found is KwiK Clear this will clear your wine in 24 - 48 hours.

When you have added the fining top up either with water, juice or a combination of the two then put the airlock back on and wait for it to clear.

When your wine is crystal clear bottle it, i use a little bottler and bucket clip on my syphon tube as it makes the job a breeze.

Rosé wine (A forum favourite)

1 litre Red grape juice (ASDA)

1 litre Apple Juice (ASDA)

800g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Hi Chippy, when you say 800g sugar, does this include juice content? I've a couple of WOWs that are really struggling to get below 1.030, nearly a month now. It could be my yeast, temps are fine, I just wanted to clarify this in my own head. :thumb:

The expiry date is 02/17 I bought it around 3 months ago and kept in the fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Chippy, when you say 800g sugar, does this include juice content? I've a couple of WOWs that are really struggling to get below 1.030, nearly a month now. It could be my yeast, temps are fine, I just wanted to clarify this in my own head

If you aim for a total sugar content in the DJ of 1100g you will always have a wine of approximately 13%.

The expiry date is 02/17 I bought it around 3 months ago and kept in the fridge.

You say sack the youngs yeast are you using Youngs super wine yeast compound or a different one?

My YSWYC tub says keep for 3 months after opening so yours should be OK.

...and there lies my answer. I think this yeast is struggling with the amount of sugar in the DJ.:-(

If you can find it give YSWYC a try, i have been using it for years and never had a problem, my kitchen gets down to 15c in winter and it still does the job.

Learning all the time, I've just ordered Super Wine Yeast and nutrient. Thinking back the ones that worked I made up to 800g including juice content. Thanks guys!

Maybe change the original recipe to just say super yeast compound? I had same - Young's wine yeast simply isn't up to the job.

Not disheartened, I've ditched the Rosé until my Super yeast arrives and got a Sloe & RGJ on the go with a GV11. Had the sloes steeping for a week, got a good concentrate with spud masher and filtered through a muslin bag into the DJ, 800g sugar SG of 1.106.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back