Base recipe for 'Easy Rose' Supermarket Juice Wine WOW - 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using Wilkos express wine yeast compound , seems to have done the trick so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. Long expiry date. No 'use within ? once opened' date. Asks for starting temp but after that my wines have been in the back room where temp fluctuates. 20 ish when heating going but drops to 16/ 17 at night. Not had any fail yet ( touch wood ). Yeast is already mixed with nutrients and bentonite but I always add Wilko yeast nutrient as well.

I went all in on my first go at brewing 3 months ago and did 4x15 bottles of Wow using the same yeast (Youngs Wine Yeast)
Ended up binning half (would take till 2017 to get < 1030) and drinking/storing the other half (got to about 1001).

I then had to bin my cellar7 30 bottle cab sauv after adding some water to top it up.

My next wow using the compound was better - got to 99x in 7 days. But this one then got chill haze !

So in a nutshell have yet to make 1 WoW perfectly and plenty mistakes made ! Have binned 45L of alcohol

Currently have this on the go:

30 bottle california connoisseur malbec (half way through)
30 Bottle Solomon Grundy Gold Sauv Blanc (erupted in fridge- took ages to clean up) 6 days into 7.
30 bottle elderberry lowicz wow (maturing)

Will kick off another wow soon regardless !

Ha ha 800g. I did your exact Rosé recipe. ( except for the yeast) [emoji849]

Its a bit of a strange one as i cannot remember anyone having the same problem with a wine yeast over several batches, the YSWYC calls for a heaped teaspoon but being tight i have always used a level teraspoon and it has always worked, i do add a level teaspoon of yeast nutrient even though the yeast compound already has it, better safe than sorry. :thumb:

Question time - :lol:

Having extolled the wonders of what I call my Purple version of this rose ( using Welch's purple juice etc ) , I bottled this about 12 days ago. Tasted great and, having been finely filtered was clear as a bell. It has now been laid down in what has become a chilly garage. Noticed today that the contents seem to have a haze to them ( temp? Chill? ) but also I now have a dark line along the length of the bottle as if something is still settling out. What was the point of the filter I ask? Is something still happening in the bottle that shouldn't?

Can only see a benefit to lying down bottles if you're looking at a long ageing process in a corked bottle.

Question time - :lol:

Having extolled the wonders of what I call my Purple version of this rose ( using Welch's purple juice etc ) , I bottled this about 12 days ago. Tasted great and, having been finely filtered was clear as a bell. It has now been laid down in what has become a chilly garage. Noticed today that the contents seem to have a haze to them ( temp? Chill? ) but also I now have a dark line along the length of the bottle as if something is still settling out. What was the point of the filter I ask? Is something still happening in the bottle that shouldn't?

Did you dissolve the sugar in hot water or did you just whisk it in ? My last batch have chill haze and this was the only thing I could think of. I whisked my sugar in.

I bottled a DJ of WGJ, apple and ginger yesterday and very nice it was too, first one I've done with WGJ and will definitely be getting some more in stock, also bottled a couple o DJ's of Rhubarb wine and racked some red and white grape wines and also made 23 L of beer, a good day!

I bottled a DJ of WGJ, apple and ginger yesterday and very nice it was too, first one I've done with WGJ and will definitely be getting some more in stock, also bottled a couple o DJ's of Rhubarb wine and racked some red and white grape wines and also made 23 L of beer, a good day!

Blimey - that's a brew day !!

Yeah and for hogging the kitchen all day I made a nice n hot chilli con carne for the family dinner, helps to keep the complaints about winery/brewery smells/space using to a minimum :thumb:

Back