Basics

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip Witney

Reaction score
Hello

Is there anyone out there who just brews beer?
You know, just chuck in a few pounds of malt, mash, boil and add hops. Without regard to all the other parameters.
I admit that I have a Robobrew for convenience which is fantastic.

I do and its always fine. Have been doing this for forty years plus.

I probably come pretty close to this couple of kilos of malt mash using BIAB, boil and add bittering hops, followed by aroma hops at ten minutes describes most of the beers I brew. Ferment with dried yeast (although I did use liquid last summer as wanted to use Kweik due to the heat but you seem to be able to get it dried this year). Ferment for two weeks then bottle or put in mini keg with sugar for a few weeks. Produces excellent session beers as good or better than most commercial beers.

I use the same process every time. Overnight mash to save time. Sparge whilst it's warming up. Bittering hops, flavour hops, flameout hops. Dried yeast. I've stopped dry hopping because after a month you can't taste them anyway. I don't check the gravity pre boil. What's the point. It urns out very nice.

I use the same process every time. Overnight mash to save time. Sparge whilst it's warming up. Bittering hops, flavour hops, flameout hops. Dried yeast. I've stopped dry hopping because after a month you can't taste them anyway. I don't check the gravity pre boil. What's the point. It urns out very nice.
Do you just let the mash cool over night or hold it at your chosen temperature?

Do you just let the mash cool over night or hold it at your chosen temperature?
I hold it as warm as possible with insulation in the form of a sleeping bag and a motorcycle jacket! It tends to remain at mid 50s celcius by morning which is hopefully enough to avoid any damage.

Back