Bass Export - nostalgia brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having spent the all of my University years, and the most of the rest of what was left of the 1990's consuming Bass Export by the gallon I thought I have a go at recreating something similar. Here's where I've got to.

Fermentables
4kg Marris Otter - extra pale
400g Crisp Light Crystal
400g Crisp Dark Crystal
200g Torrified Barley
Hops
30g Northern Brewer 60min
7g Challenger 15min
Fermentation
White Labs WLP023

Anyone done a good one before? Otherwise, any recipe critique will be gratefully received.

Have you seen this one from Byo? Looks similar to the one mentioned in the homebrewers recipe database.

https://byo.com/article/5-british-ale-clone-recipes/
7.0 lbs. (3.2 kg) 2-row pale ale malt
2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) flaked maize
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal malt (60 °L)
0.75 oz. (21 g) roasted barley (300 °L)
8.0 AAU Northern Brewer hops (60 mins) (0.89 oz./25 g of 9% alpha acids)
2.0 AAU Northern Brewer hops (15 mins) (0.22 oz./6.3 g of 9% alpha acids)
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
1/8 tsp. yeast nutrients (15 mins)
White Labs WLP023 (Burton Ale)

What I use for my Bass clone.

Voyager Atlas pale malt 72.3% (similar to Maris Otter)
Flaked corn 19.4%
Crystal 4.4% late addition
NZ Gladiator 3.5%
Voyager roast barley 0..4% late addition

25 gram Northern Brewer @ 60 mins
12 gram Northern Brewer @ 10 mins
Mash @ 67 C 90 mins Boil 90 mins
Irish Moss.

Fermentis SO4 yeast

I would say your choice of yeast is important to brew this beer. WLP023 is a good choice I've used it a lot for Burton style beers and apart from being a bugger to clear it does produce the right profile.

Have you seen this one from Byo? Looks similar to the one mentioned in the homebrewers recipe database.
I saw that but assumed it was for Bass Ale. My particular poison was Bass Export, came in a gold tin rather than silver, around 1% ABV stronger, and darker in colour, Amber heading to red. There was more caramel to the flavour and a bit more body.
I simplified that recipe, upped the crystal malts and added the torrified barley for mouthfeel and head retention.

Having spent the all of my University years, and the most of the rest of what was left of the 1990's consuming Bass Export by the gallon I thought I have a go at recreating something similar. Here's where I've got to.

Fermentables
4kg Marris Otter - extra pale
400g Crisp Light Crystal
400g Crisp Dark Crystal
200g Torrified Barley
Hops
30g Northern Brewer 60min
7g Challenger 15min
Fermentation
White Labs WLP023

Anyone done a good one before? Otherwise, any recipe critique will be gratefully received.

16% crystal is way, way too much crystal for a British beer - unless you're an American, who make the fatal mistake of trying to achieve colour using a flavour ingredient like crystal, not understanding that British beers get most of their colour from a low-flavour colouring ingredient like brewer's caramel or black malt.
Beers like Fuller's ESB and London Pride are 7.2% light crystal, and I really wouldn't want to go much higher than that. Boak and Bailey recently discussed recipes for ordinary Bass - which have changed a lot over the years, so you need to work out what period you are looking at.

Your best bet for yeast would be to harvest some from a cask of draught Bass (not really an option with pubs closed!), otherwise ask Brewlab.

If you were to go with ready-to-go sources of yeast, I might mix WLP023 with a bit of Notty or something to bump up the attenuation.

My particular poison was Bass Export, came in a gold tin rather than silver, around 1% ABV stronger

This label on Ebay suggests Belfast Bass Export (of unknown date) was 4.1%, but may well date from before 1977, when "ordinary" Bass was bumped up from 1.039 to 1.044. Beer Advocate suggests Export was 4.4%.

Les Howarth suggests an OG of 1.048 with 5% crystal and Challenger, Northdown and Goldings.
1591555303738.png

16% crystal is way, way too much crystal for a British beer - unless you're an American, who make the fatal mistake of trying to achieve colour using a flavour ingredient like crystal, not understanding that British beers get most of their colour from a low-flavour colouring ingredient like brewer's caramel or black malt.
Beers like Fuller's ESB and London Pride are 7.2% light crystal, and I really wouldn't want to go much higher than that. Boak and Bailey recently discussed recipes for ordinary Bass - which have changed a lot over the years, so you need to work out what period you are looking at.

Your best bet for yeast would be to harvest some from a cask of draught Bass (not really an option with pubs closed!), otherwise ask Brewlab.

If you were to go with ready-to-go sources of yeast, I might mix WLP023 with a bit of Notty or something to bump up the attenuation.

This label on Ebay suggests Belfast Bass Export (of unknown date) was 4.1%, but may well date from before 1977, when "ordinary" Bass was bumped up from 1.039 to 1.044. Beer Advocate suggests Export was 4.4%.

Les Howarth suggests an OG of 1.048 with 5% crystal and Challenger, Northdown and Goldings.
View attachment 27225

Wow, thanks for all that! I’ll drop the %crystal and relook how to get the colour up. Strength wise, I had a figure of 4.8% in my head, but the minimum quantity I would have been consuming in the ‘90s was a half gallon, so my memory may not be all that reliable. Thanks for the Boak and Bailey link. Going to read it now.

Latest posts

Back