Batch prime or individual prime for bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmac

Regular.
Reaction score
Do you add your priming sugar into second fV then into bottles or add a teaspoon into each bottle please

We've had more and bitterer arguments on this topic than we have had about brexit. At the end of the day it's a tradeoff between having evenly dosed bottles at the risk of a further opportunity for contamination or oxidation, and the possibility of slightly dosing the bottles less evenly with granulated sugar. It's your choice. I've never batch primed and always "calibrate" my teaspoon by weighing a flat, rounded or heaped spoon depending on whether I want 4, 5 or 6 grams in the bottle. Never had a problem. Don't waste your money on carbonation drops. They're just sugar at about a million times the price.
If you use sugar, fold a piece of card and slide the sugar into the bottle rather than trying to spoon it in.

We've had more and bitterer arguments on this topic than we have had about brexit. At the end of the day it's a tradeoff between having evenly dosed bottles at the risk of a further opportunity for contamination or oxidation, and the possibility of slightly dosing the bottles less evenly with granulated sugar. It's your choice. I've never batch primed and always "calibrate" my teaspoon by weighing a flat, rounded or heaped spoon depending on whether I want 4, 5 or 6 grams in the bottle. Never had a problem. Don't waste your money on carbonation drops. They're just sugar at about a million times the price.
If you use sugar, fold a piece of card and slide the sugar into the bottle rather than trying to spoon it in.
Oh no we haven't 😂

I've ordered a little bottle funnel how much do you use per 500ml bottle

As per discussion on another thread the other day, I'm going to try a syringe of measured syrup for priming next time.

Haha I don't wanna have to sterilise too much stuff
Quite so. And while I think of it, you don't add priming sugar to the secondary fermenter, but to the bottling bucket. Something else to clean and was up.
Why not just try it with table sugar (not the reduced calory one, which contains artificial sweeteners) It'll be fine. I find my bottled beer takes about six weeks to carb up and condition. Sometimes longer.

Quite so. And while I think of it, you don't add priming sugar to the secondary fermenter, but to the bottling bucket. Something else to clean and was up.
Why not just try it with table sugar (not the reduced calory one, which contains artificial sweeteners) It'll be fine. I find my bottled beer takes about six weeks to carb up and condition. Sometimes longer.
Can't I bottle from my second bucket with tap on ?

Latest posts

Back