Batch prime or individual prime for bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhat bizarrely the one time I've tried batch priming was also the most inconsistent carbonation between bottles. I guess I didnt stir it well enough as I was wary of aerating it, but I figure that at least with bottle priming I see exactly how much is going on each one.

Somewhat bizarrely the one time I've tried batch priming was also the most inconsistent carbonation between bottles. I guess I didnt stir it well enough as I was wary of aerating it, but I figure that at least with bottle priming I see exactly how much is going on each one.
Agree with you on batch priming stirring the beer and then adding the now cloudy beer to the bottle. No way Jose.

I make up a priming and fining solution with a measured amount of sugar and of fining (I use gelatine but have done the same with isinglass). I then prime and fine each bottle using a syringe to measure the correct amount. I can prime and fine a 22l brew in under 5 mins this way.

I make up a priming and fining solution with a measured amount of sugar and of fining (I use gelatine but have done the same with isinglass). I then prime and fine each bottle using a syringe to measure the correct amount. I can prime and fine a 22l brew in under 5 mins this way.
How much do you syringe into each bottle please brewshed

Personally I have started using sugar sachets, each is a pre weighed 2.5g packet of sugar was less than £10 for a box of 1000 (so about a penny a sachet). Still more expensive than a bag of caster sugar but a lot less than priming drops. As I mostly keg, I find the convenience of just being able to pour a sachet into 4 or 5 bottles is worth it to me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DQTLD27/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Also helps that 2.5g gives you about two volumes of CO2 (which is about right for me)

I've tried batch priming and it worked ok but... I like to drink a sample at bottling and I bottle from the tap so until I'm halfway through the FV it's still a bit cloudy so I ended up drinking sugary primed beer. Not nice.
So I went back to priming each bottle. It's hardly a problem, how long does it take to prime 40 bottles? Couple of minutes at most.
As to there being slight variations in the amount of carbonation between bottles? Frankly who cares?

So is that 22 litres = 44 bottles? Then 70 g of sugar is only about 1.6 g per bottle, doesn't sound much.

So is that 22 litres = 44 bottles? Then 70 g of sugar is only about 1.6 g per bottle, doesn't sound much.
Depends on the beer 1.6g will give you about 1.6 volume of CO2 (going by Brewers-friend) on the low side but within the range for an English Bitter or similar.

Back